Topics

ISS Repeater Success

David Spoelstra

I made three contacts on the ISS repeater last night! It's very loud and clear. Better than even my local repeaters!

Here's the frequencies I used:
ISSTone 67.0TXRX
21AOS145.990437.810
22AOS 60 degrees437.805
23Overhead437.800
24LOS 60 degrees437.795
25LOS437.790

TX stays the same, RX adjusts.

-David, N9KT

Clint Bradford

Outstanding information!

I was "stuck" mobile ... and definitely agree with the Doppler accommodation
on the 440 downlink.

ACQUIRE ABOVE - Acquire the satellite/ISS' 440 signal ABOVE the transmitted
frequency.

I just published this, too, on my freq chart. I just went out one "step" -

AOS - 437.805
ISS   - 437.800
LOS - 437.795

Need to experiment more ... For now - with HTs and not necessarily working
at 5-10 degrees elevation - I think I'll stick with the three freqs. DEFINITELY,
though, use your plan for satellite base stations!

Clint K6LCS

David Spoelstra

I was in my backyard with an Arrow and HT surrounded by trees, so I wasn't able to acquire the ISS just above the horizon either. I need to experiment more too. For my table, I just did the calculations. Three steps might be better for most people with an Arrow or Elk. It will also take less hands!

I was also on PO-101 at 3am ET and not a sole was on it and I was loud and clear into it! Unfortunately, it wasn't a great pass. I'd really like to get a great pass with no one on it so I can tweak in the frequencies for most people with an Arrow and HT.
PO-101Tone 141.3RXTX
16AOS145.900437.490
17AOS 60 degrees437.495
18Overhead437.500
19LOS 60 degrees437.505
20LOS437.510

I'm thinking there should be two lists - one for the average person with an HT and Arrow/Elk that has three frequencies for each satellite, and other would be for a base station that can acquire the birds at a much lower elevation and it would have five frequencies. What do you think?

Also, there are supposed to be three new FM repeaters launched September 15, 2020 - CAS-5A, CAS-7A, and CAS-7C! We're going to have a ton of FM repeaters to play with!

Lastly, a tip for everyone on this mail list that is using a Arrow/Elk and HT. Your best bet is to work off hours. I find that I have a hard time competing with base stations during the day. I can do it, but I consider myself lucky. After about 11pm local time, I can get on a bird and make 4-6 contacts per pass. It's probably the same in the early morning, but I'm a night owl so someone else will have to try that!

-David, N9KT

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 3:04 PM Clint Bradford via groups.io <clintbradford=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Outstanding information!

I was "stuck" mobile ... and definitely agree with the Doppler accommodation
on the 440 downlink.

ACQUIRE ABOVE - Acquire the satellite/ISS' 440 signal ABOVE the transmitted
frequency.

I just published this, too, on my freq chart. I just went out one "step" -

AOS - 437.805
ISS   - 437.800
LOS - 437.795

Need to experiment more ... For now - with HTs and not necessarily working
at 5-10 degrees elevation - I think I'll stick with the three freqs. DEFINITELY,
though, use your plan for satellite base stations!

Clint K6LCS

Brad Smith

David, you are correct about the powerful stations taking over the FM birds and stepping on anyone they choose. It is a sad commentary on ham radio etiquette. Because they can, they do.

Personally, I do not believe that 3 steps would be very effective for HT's. I think you would lose contact with the bird between steps. Maybe Clint might offer an opinion on this. I personally think that more steps (7) would make better contact with the bird, but that is not possible on radios that I use because of the minimum step available.

Brad KC9UQR

David Spoelstra

Well, I go out every night and make contacts. However, I can only get the birds about 25 degrees above the horizon since I've got trees and houses around me and I'm standing in my backyard. Five steps has always been more than enough. I've never lost contact. And thinking back, I've probably only used about three steps. That's why I'm now starting to experiment more. YMMV.
-David, N9KT

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 4:34 PM Brad Smith via groups.io <corlissbs=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
David, you are correct about the powerful stations taking over the FM birds and stepping on anyone they choose. It is a sad commentary on ham radio etiquette. Because they can, they do.

Personally, I do not believe that 3 steps would be very effective for HT's. I think you would lose contact with the bird between steps. Maybe Clint might offer an opinion on this. I personally think that more steps (7) would make better contact with the bird, but that is not possible on radios that I use because of the minimum step available.

Brad KC9UQR

Clint Bradford

From my sources, it WAS
Christopher Cassidy who set up the new Kenwood!

Clint Bradford

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 11:54 AM, David Spoelstra wrote:

ISS Tone 67.0 TX RX
21 AOS 145.990 437.810
22 AOS 60 degrees   437.805
23 Overhead   437.800
24 LOS 60 degrees   437.795
25 LOS   437.790

DAVID - I am going to start recommending YOUR freqs - and go that "extra"
frequency on both AOS and LOS. The last three passes' performance make your
chart THE correct freqs to program!

Clint

David Spoelstra

👍 Maybe one of these days you and I will make contact on the birds!
-David, N9KT