Topics

ISS FM Repeater


David Spoelstra
 

Has anyone else had trouble getting into the ISS repeater with an HT and an Arrow?

I was the only one on it tonight so I got to experiment. First thing I found was that the orientation (around the axis of the boom) of the Arrow was really critical. The second thing was that I could only hear myself for a very little of the pass.

I can get into all the other FM sats effortlessly with my setup.

I'm beginning to wonder if we also have to offset the TX frequency a little with the ISS. Maybe the capture frequency is a lot smaller with the new rig?

-David, N9KT


Clint Bradford
 

The main “problem” here in So CA is that too many are trying to access - resulting in few being successful.

I have had success with more power and working early during a pass ...


Paul AC9O
 

I have tried a few times with an HT and Arrow and have only been able to hear myself at greater than 55 degrees. Not all passes are crowded and one that I tried was not. I heard some calling with no response, then someone called that person and didn't get a response.

I will wait until it's figured out.

Paul, AC9O


Brad Smith
 

Does “more power” harm the equipment? Is there a built in safeguard to protect against the 100 watt and 30 db gain antenna guys?

Brad KC9UQR 

Sent from Brad’s iPad

On Sep 17, 2020, at 5:18 AM, Clint Bradford via groups.io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

The main “problem” here in So CA is that too many are trying to access - resulting in few being successful.

I have had success with more power and working early during a pass ...


Jer W
 

Hi Brad,
Unless there is a safe guard in the SATS, I truly believe some of the high power is harming the equipment.
My opinion.

Jerry



On Thursday, September 17, 2020, 9:11:44 AM EDT, Brad Smith via groups.io <corlissbs@...> wrote:


Does “more power” harm the equipment? Is there a built in safeguard to protect against the 100 watt and 30 db gain antenna guys?

Brad KC9UQR 

Sent from Brad’s iPad

On Sep 17, 2020, at 5:18 AM, Clint Bradford via groups.io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

The main “problem” here in So CA is that too many are trying to access - resulting in few being successful.

I have had success with more power and working early during a pass ...


Clint Bradford
 

The ham radio good operating recommendation for all modes -- run minimum power, 5 watts into a 7 db gain antenna on the uplink.

When tons of people are transmitting at once with more power, the capture effect doesn't allow signals to get through. 


Clint Bradford
 

Use theham radio good operating recommendation for all modes: run minimum power, 5 watts into a 7 db gain antenna on the uplink.

When tons of people are transmitting at once with more power, the capture effect doesn't allow signals to get through. 


Jer W
 

Agree

Jerry...W8RQM






On Friday, September 18, 2020, 6:18:56 PM EDT, Clint Bradford via groups.io <clintbradford@...> wrote:


The ham radio good operating recommendation for all modes -- run minimum power, 5 watts into a 7 db gain antenna on the uplink.

When tons of people are transmitting at once with more power, the capture effect doesn't allow signals to get through.