Is the ISS FM repeater now dead?

David Spoelstra

I just read the AMSAT bulletin. Am I reading it correctly that the ISS antenna cable replacement went bad and now the ISS repeater is down for probably quite a while?

That would mean that we only have three semi-working FM birds left: PO-101, SO-50 & AO-27. Bummer...

-David, N9KT

Clint Bradford

Believe so. ARISS will try to use the Russian rig for ARISS contacts in the meantime.

David Spoelstra

For us with just FM HTs, this is getting dire!
-David, N9KT

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 9:08 PM Clint Bradford via groups.io <clintbradford=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Believe so. ARISS will try to use the Russian rig for ARISS contacts in the meantime.

Stefan Wagener

What actually is very concerning, if I am not mistaken,  is that AMSAT-NA has now no operational satellite in orbit and any replacement is many, many years away!

Stefan VE4SW

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 8:28 PM David Spoelstra <davids@...> wrote:
For us with just FM HTs, this is getting dire!
-David, N9KT

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 9:08 PM Clint Bradford via groups.io <clintbradford=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Believe so. ARISS will try to use the Russian rig for ARISS contacts in the meantime.

David Spoelstra

Can you enlighten me as to why AMSAT-NA not having any operational satellites is "very concerning"? From my standpoint, as long as there are satellites I can use I'm happy. Also, isn't AO-7 an AMSAT-NA satellite? According to the current status page it's working.

I know AMSAT-NA has had some bad luck, but I believe things ebb and flow. For a while, the US had to depend on the Russians to get to the ISS. Now, SpaceX is turning into a regular bus!

I personally don't care who puts up some FM transponders, I just wish they would hurry! 😀

-David, N9KT

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 10:17 PM Stefan Wagener <wageners@...> wrote:
What actually is very concerning, if I am not mistaken,  is that AMSAT-NA has now no operational satellite in orbit and any replacement is many, many years away!

Stefan VE4SW

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 8:28 PM David Spoelstra <davids@...> wrote:
For us with just FM HTs, this is getting dire!
-David, N9KT

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 9:08 PM Clint Bradford via groups.io <clintbradford=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Believe so. ARISS will try to use the Russian rig for ARISS contacts in the meantime.

Paul R. Stoetzer

Not true. AO-91 and AO-92 can't run for very long periods due to the
batteries being near end of life, but will still be turned on as long
as the battery status permits. GOLF-TEE will be complete by the end of
this year and is aiming for a 2022 launch.

As far as FM satellites, UVSQ-SAT is planned to be available on a
schedule around 20% of the time. The Tevel Mission should launch this
spring with 8 identical FM satellites. A couple of the Chinese
satellites scheduled for launch later this year also have FM
transponders.

73,

Paul, N8HM

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 9:08 PM Clint Bradford via groups.io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

Believe so. ARISS will try to use the Russian rig for ARISS contacts in the meantime.

Stefan Wagener

Thanks David,

Yes, as long as others put up satellites that we can use, it's a good situation.

Stefan VE4SW

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 9:35 PM David Spoelstra <davids@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Paul,

Unfortunately, the AMSAT satellite status page shows a different picture. Everything that is working is not an AMSAT-NA satellite and GOLF-TEE is at least 2 years away....

Anyway, you are correct, there are many other satellites to work, decode and enjoy.

73, Stefan VE4SW