Topics

How important is it to have a full duplex ht

Hank Tyler

to work the fm birds? What’s your opinion?

Clint Bradford

To work the "easy FM voice satellites," it is absolutely NOT mandatory to work them
full-duplex.

BUT - it sure helps hearing your downlink - making sure you are (a) hitting it well and
(b) not accidentally stepping on someone else!

Treat it like you do your local repeaters: You don't intentionally key up on top of
someone else. You wait for a break in the action, THEN keep up and announce
yourself.

Clint K6LCS

David Spoelstra

What I find most valuable when using full duplex is:
1. It's obvious when you need to switch to the next frequency pair.
2. You *know* when you are getting into the bird. This is actually more important than you think. When I've worked simplex before I've called and called only to find out there was something wrong with my setup.
3. You *know* when someone else is overpowering you into the bird.

But, I have worked the FM birds simplex too.

-David, N9KT

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 8:16 PM Hank Tyler <tylerhster@...> wrote:
Of course we don't use full duplex on repeaters and it works out well.
What do other people think? Do you use non full duplex hts and think they work well?

Clint Bradford

>> ...  It's obvious when you need to switch to the next frequency pair.

On our "easy FM voice sats," you're not changing the 2M frequencies to accommodate for Doppler, are you???

>> ... You *know* when you are getting into the bird ..

Absolutely!

>> ... You *know* when someone else is overpowering you into the bird ...

Although you might be tempted to fire up that 65W mobile ... we both KNOW it CAN be done with an HT ...

Good info, David!

David Spoelstra

>> ...  On our "easy FM voice sats," you're not changing the 2M frequencies to accommodate for Doppler, are you???

Nope, I use the frequency pairs right off your awesome website! http://work-sat.com/Home_files/FM-VOICE-SATS-03-2020.pdf

-David, N9KT

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 12:59 AM Clint Bradford via groups.io <clintbradford=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
>> ...  It's obvious when you need to switch to the next frequency pair.

On our "easy FM voice sats," you're not changing the 2M frequencies to accommodate for Doppler, are you???

>> ... You *know* when you are getting into the bird ..

Absolutely!

>> ... You *know* when someone else is overpowering you into the bird ...

Although you might be tempted to fire up that 65W mobile ... we both KNOW it CAN be done with an HT ...

Good info, David!

Paul Ecker

So if you don't have a full duplex HT, how does one set up or employ two HTs with an Arrow antenna?

73 Paul w3eck

David Spoelstra

Take out the Diplexer if you have one. Hook up each radio to the appropriate cable. For AO-91 & AO-92 set the receive frequency on the receive radio and just change the frequency on the transmit radio.

For SO-50 you fix the transmit frequency and just change the receive frequency.

-David, N9KT

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 9:37 AM Paul Ecker <eckerpw@...> wrote:
So if you don't have a full duplex HT, how does one set up or employ two HTs with an Arrow antenna?

73 Paul w3eck

Clint Bradford

Each set of elements on the Arrow Sat Antennas has a connector - usually BNC Female. You can use short cables to attach each to two different radios.

At shows and demos, I will sometimes have two complete "systems" set up: I'll wear a headset and work with one antenna, and another person will be my "spotter" with sat tracking program on an iOS device, and using a tape measure beam to receive-only - about twenty feet away - so that that receive audio doesn't reach my mic and cause feedback.

When using two HTs, you will have to experiment and see if the receive one "de-senses" when the nearby second ratio transmits. You can test this phenomenon on un-used frequencies near the sat's frequencies beforehand.

Radios like the Wouxun KG-UV9D PLUS ( https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-015307 )
and the Kenwood TH-D72a will work full-duplex for you. HWO has an "open box" Wouxun right now - so it it 10% off!

Clint

Fred Hillhouse

I have a full-duplex HT (actually two; FT-51r and D72). It is convenient for all the reasons people will list. I do like hearing the downlink when I am transmitting.

But if you only had an HT that didn’t support full-duplex, for real short money you can get another HT to use as your uplink or downlink.

Good luck making your decision!

Fred N7FMH

to work the fm birds? What’s your opinion?

Avast logo

Hank Tyler

Thanks for all the comments. Full-duplex it is and I am looking for a TH-D72. Looks like they're not available right now due to COVID-19.

Clint Bradford

>> ... looking for a TH-D72. Looks like they're not available right now ...

They are coming. Watch HRO's site.

A LOT of products - not just Kenwood - are manufactured where plants are closed or otherwise negatively affected by this pandemic ...

Clint

Max White

Here in the UK, the D-72 is now discontinued by the major suppliers and you are lucky to find the odd outlet still selling them in mint condition, or just as rare, the odd one coming up on the SH market.

de es 73 Max/M0VNG

>> ... looking for a TH-D72. Looks like they're not available right now ...

They are coming. Watch HRO's site.

A LOT of products - not just Kenwood - are manufactured where plants are closed or otherwise negatively affected by this pandemic ...

The US version is NOT discontinued ... HRO will be receiving some soon.

Clint Bradford
951-533-4984

Ken Campbell

Clint,

I’m thinking about getting into working the sats. Is there a list of full duplex HT’s suitable for the job?
--
All the best,
Ken Campbell

Clint Bradford

For both U/v and V/u FM voice satellites, only the Kenwood TH-D72a does it well.

But they are $380 ... and won't be available for a few more days at HRO.

For the U/v AO-91/92 true full-duplex, the Powerwerx/HRO WOuxun KG-UV9D PLUS
works well. Just not for SO-50 ... $189.95 at HRO - https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-015307

There are some long-discontinued full-duplex HTs that many are using for the sats, like (not an all-inclusive list) the Icom IC-W2a and IC-W32a, Kenwood TH-D7 and TH-D79, and Yaesu’s FT-470/FT-51/FT-530 models. There may be others ... but I’d hate to see you spend a bunch of money on really old units with no warranties and fewer repair options and decreasing availability of battery packs!

SO ... Many use two HTs! Use your "best" one for receiving, and another for transmitting. Some radios will "get along" and not exhibit defense when close together ... some may require a few feet of separation. Experiment!

Clint

bobsayers2000

Just finished two conversations with two Wouxun dealers. One said he was not sure if this rig was true, full duplex. The other said it was not.

SO ... Still need to research. There are a couple YouTube videos ... eHam reviews didn’t cite duplex ...

Clint

>> ... Can the Wouxun KG-UV950P mobile be used in this way?

bobsayers2000

Thanks, Clint! I've just been reading through the User Manual, and still couldn't decide!

Best regards,

Bob

Jer W

Great HT for duplex, but still trying to learn all the 505 menus. I definitely need
an Elmer for those. I know some of them, but not all.

Jerry...W8RQM

On Tuesday, May 5, 2020, 11:45:27 AM EDT, Clint Bradford via groups.io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul AC9O

I am new to satellites, less than a month. And having a blast!

Most definitely full duplex. I started with a TH-D72 and a headset. It worked great but had a tough time recording sessions on my smart phone. It can be done as the smart phone hear me very well, and can actually pick up the downlink audio enough to hear. the problem is with external noises, neighbors, cars, etc. can mask the receive audio. I didn't want to patch in another recorder, so I lived with it.

I then took my other ht, a FT3DR and use that now on the downlink. It has built-in recording so it works great to enter logs after the session.

Here's a pic of my setup with an Arrow mounted to a camera "C" handle with the HTs on either side. Very comfy to hold and control....

Paul AC9O

The app is W1ANT Pro (for Android) -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.coolprimes.sattrack&hl=en_US

It works great to predict the passes. The pro version allows you to select only the satellites you want. Also has all the basic info. The screen in the picture assists in the azimuth and elevation. It's on the "C" handle so that I center the yellow dot for elevation and the green for direction. Also computes the Doppler shift.