Hams and the Weather

Clint Bradford

What is the fascination between hams and meteorology?

I was fascinated with the weather in 4th grade. Made a weather station in
the back yard. Wet bulb hygrometer ... barometer ... millibar conversion ...

Here's something: 622-2501. The phone number, 622-2501. That was the
US Weather Bureau's office in Pomona, California. WAS is the operative word:
They have been GONE for fifty years. But that phone number is still in my brain
to this day. (But don't ask me where my car keys are RIGHT NOW ... )

Any of you enjoy the weather - more than just looking out the window to determine
whether (poor pun, sorry) or not you'll be sporting a jacket for the day?

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCAMIRAL20

Clint

Robert Putala KE8UW

Yes, I have an interest in weather also (and Ham, and satellites, and coffee roasting, and beer brewing, and boating, and fishing, and antique electronics...). My weather station data is on the Ambient weather site, location Pinion Oaks, Prescott.
It was important that to get that station up after moving here from Massachusetts. Not sure why it was important, it just was.

Rob Putala
KE8UW

On Mar 7, 2021, at 11:45 PM, Clint Bradford via groups.io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

What is the fascination between hams and meteorology?

I was fascinated with the weather in 4th grade. Made a weather station in
the back yard. Wet bulb hygrometer ... barometer ... millibar conversion ...

Here's something: 622-2501. The phone number, 622-2501. That was the
US Weather Bureau's office in Pomona, California. WAS is the operative word:
They have been GONE for fifty years. But that phone number is still in my brain
to this day. (But don't ask me where my car keys are RIGHT NOW ... )

Any of you enjoy the weather - more than just looking out the window to determine
whether (poor pun, sorry) or not you'll be sporting a jacket for the day?

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCAMIRAL20

This was weird.

I recently purchased the AcuRite 5-in-1 Remote Weather Station at Lowe's - because it was wireless and
it seemed to be one of the less-expensive setups that connected to and showed your data on
WeatherUnderground.

Well, I didn't research that purchasing decision too well.

After a couple days of showing up on WUnderground, it stopped reporting data. I talked to
WeatherUnderground: "Oh, didn't you hear? We changed our algorithms and API data, and
your system isn't gonna work." Bummer.

But then i called and talked to AcuRite. "What is your URL to your weather station, Clint?" the
very polite rep asked. I gave it to her. "Thank you for calling. We'll get back to you."

In less than two hours, they updated my Weather Station's firmware and got me up and running
again. All this while I wasn't even home - and in San Diego for the day.

Lesson One: I made the mistake of not researching that purchase.

Lesson Two: Picked a great company to cure MY problem!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/AcuRite-5-in-1-Weather-Station-Color/1003137848

Clint

AF7ZA

Hi Clint
I’m glad AcuRite is working for you. My XYL bought one for me also. They are not nearly as expensive as a Davis brand.
I could not get it to connect to the remote sensor and some other issues with the App.

Maybe others have had success with that brand as you too. But for me if I wish to pursue a fully functioning Weather Station it would be a Davis Vantage Pro II. Too bad they are so expensive, compared to looking out the window which costs nothing.

Bill

On Mar 13, 2021, at 7:45 24PM, Clint Bradford via groups.io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

[...]

I have admired Davis quality and "maturity" since I sold 'em at HRO many years ago ... Great products.

Kevin

Clint,
I’ve had two 5 in 1 AcuRites and they both worked well. I had a minor issue with one, and AcuRite bent over backwards to help. I switched to an Ambient because I wanted more features

Kevin Ryan