Topics

GT-3TP Satellite Usage

Marty Bluhm <w8aks55@...>

Good Morning, first timer so please bear with me.
Would like to check out the sats.
I have an Elk antenna for use
A friend gave me a GT3-TP handheld to use. It is in a virgin state with nothing programmed into it.
Reading in the archives plus other sources,
I’ve came up with a shopping list.
It includes a programming cable, a coaxial adapter from 259 to sma and an external Mike/speaker.

Now the kicker, while researching this, I found a comment to the effect “extensive research has found the lower end Chinese radios to be complete rubbish”
Before I purchase the above items, is this a true statement?
Apart from spending the money, the frustration of buying and not being able to use it would be the pits.
Has anyone used this ht on the sats?
Is it is worthwhile or am I spinning my wheels leading to a frustrating and eventual disappointment.
Thanks and 73
Marty
W8AKS

David Spoelstra

I have worked all the FM sats with a Baofeng UV-5R. It's definitely harder since you can't hear yourself, but I've done it. I usually wait for a pass that isn't full of people on top of each other.
-David, N9KT

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 12:35 PM Marty Bluhm <w8aks55@...> wrote:
[...]

Siegfried Jackstien

the low end chinese ht are not superb ... but they are usable

signal is not superclean so i would not use it with a kilowatt amp on a 4x19 el array on a contest ... but on a small yagi ... towards a leo ... you will not hurt anybody ... means ... not good but usable

same on receive side ... these ht can not work in a rf noisy areas or with big big antennas cause their frontend is as wide as an open barn door... but it is ok for using it on smaller antennas on your local repeater (or on a small yagi towards a leo that also acts like a local repeater for a few minutes) ... so also on receive ... not good ... but usable

so i would sum it up with ... use it ... have fun with it ... and you can buy a better (fullduplex?) ht later

see if you can get your hands on a used ft470 or similar ... but that can be done later if you really think to buy a new (used) dualband ht

if you then after a few dozen passes think to get that better ht (or find a good one on next hamfest) ... you can sell the chinese ht WITH the programming cable ... so nothing is lost

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 14.10.2019 um 13:06 schrieb Marty Bluhm:

[...]

Randal Rutkowski

I use both the baofeng and yaseu with a duplexer since I don’t have a true Full Duplex HT.  It all works fro me with a coat hanger dipole built from a project page on ARRL magazine.  I am probably in the same boat as you are.  I have zero luck with PC programming the Chinese but my patients wears thin.  I do programming manually.
Randy
KM6RBG

On Oct 14, 2019, at 10:12 AM, Siegfried Jackstien <siegfried.jackstien@...> wrote:

[...]

Chirp is your friend for programming all the Chinese radios.

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 2:13 PM Randal Rutkowski <randyrutkowski@...> wrote:
[...]

First off, thank you for the responses. They were greatly appreciated.
Following the book of baby steps, this is what I have configured.
Transmit Side: GT-3TP ( not configured)
Receive: RSP2
Antenna: Elk log periodic
Computer: Dell i5 currently running Win7
Software: have Sdr-console v3 and gpredict both up and running for evaluation. Also Sdr-uno and hdsdr are on board.

The Elk is mounted ln a pvc section approx 5ft. tied to pole for present. As it sits, coverage is from ssw to nne in the clear. It is blocked to the east by the house.

Present plans are first try to hear something, no joy so far. Then proceed to programming the radio.
I have a diamond duplexer that I can use when I figure out how to connect it.
Likewise, I have 2 mfj 1708 t/r switches, one the SDR version and one generic version. Another research project so I don’t blow up the rsp2 which is a fun and very good radio.

So that is where I’m at. No timeframe, just enjoying. It will be nice when I start hearing things.

Thanks again , any comments/suggestions and that includes criticism. After 64 years of hamming and 79 years of life, the skin is pretty thick although it doesn’t look it. hi hi

73 and y’all have a good one, hear.
Marty
W8AKS
Beckley (Almost Heaven) WV

Randal Rutkowski

Marty
My family is from Hill Top, outside of Oak Hill!  Beautiful time of the year there!!
Good Luck!
Randy
KM6RBG
Atascadero CA