FT-60R - Open Letter

Clint Bradford

Watched a "What's the Best "First" HT in 2021" YouTube video
last night. Although the Yaesu FT-65R and FT4XR were listed,
the FT-60R was "dismissed" ... My letter to the publisher -

- - - - - - - - -

Good day. Watched your “Best HTs of 2021” video last night.

I feel compelled to talk about Yaesu’s FT-60R. You mentioned it was “older,”
had outdated battery technology, and that accessories were becoming scarce.
And you dismissed the FT-60R in favor of the FT-65 and FT-4XR.

Older? Yes, the FT-60R was introduced in 2004. It is an old radio. Yet it boasts
the best feature set I can find of any 2m/440 analog FM HT available.

               ●      1,000 memories

               ●      receives (essentially) 108mHz to a gig (including AM aircraft)

               ●      large, legible display

               ●      easy to manually program (one-page cheat sheet at work-sat.com )

               ●       bulletproof case design***

               ●      strongest belt clip of any ham HT chassis on the market

               ●       great receive audio

... as well as a unique battery setup: You can use the optional FBA-25 AA case
with either NiMH cells or alkalines, and have FULL TX power available (if you
really need it).

I cannot find another 2m/440 analog FM HT whose feature set matches or
surpasses the FT-60R.

Yes, it uses NiMH batteries as standard equipment. For the vast majority of users,
they will achieve 750-1000 complete discharge-charge cycles from properly maintained
NiMH packs. Lithium-ion packs are rated to last about HALF that many discharge-charge
cycles. (Even the FT-65 manual states its pack will last “300” discharge-charge cycles.)
So “longevity" is NOT in favor of Lithium-ion.

Li-Ion will perform better in extreme cold weather - that’s a plus for hams in Alaska and
Greenland.

Li-ion will, indeed, hold its charge longer: You can charge it, put it away for a
couple months, and have more power available than compared with a “stored” NiMH
pack. But I, personally, don't charge up a radio only to have it sit, un-used, for months.

And the other “advantage” of Li-ion is that it is lighter in weight than NiMH. Well, that’s
a rather silly reason to invest in a new intelligent charger and Li-Ion packs …

After learning about battery chemistries ( CADEX.com ), I have never understood
hams’ affection for Li-Ion …

FT-60R accessories? Yaesu has audio accessories - and none are in short supply. I use
Heil audio accessories on my FT-60R HTs. The FT-60R’s 3.5mm 4-conductor jack has
been around for many years, and genuine Yaesu accessories - as well as third-party
accessories - are readily available. Antennas, audio adapters, FBA-25 alkaline tray,
RT Systems software - all are available for the FT-60R.

Side note: The FT-60R allows the programming of “split frequencies” - where one
can program 2M receive and 440 TX (or vice versa) in one memory location. NOT "true
duplex" - but it allows hams to easily work the “easy amateur FM satellites.” Neither the
FT-65 nor the FT-4XR can do that.

When I perform satellite demos and give presentations, I don’t take my $500 Kenwood
TH-D72a with me. It was the last great-performing true, full-duplex HT for working the
FM satellites (works well in BOTH v/u and u/v modes). I demo with the FT-60R -
because I want hams to know they don’t need to spend a lot to “work the birds.”

SO … That’s it. Thanks for listening. Great work on your growing catalog of YouTube
videos!

Clint Bradford K6LCS
work-sat.com
909-999-SATS (7287)

*** - OK, the FT-60R isn’t truly “bulletproof.” But several of my pre-pandemic audiences
have seen me toss one across the stage - literally - during my presentations to show
that they stand up to a little abuse ... Do not try that at home, though.

AF7ZA

Thank you Clint. Seems they may just want to sell more new radios. Isn’t that the name of the game with just about everything ?

I appreciate you extensive listing of the FT60r’s features. It just always works for me and will probably be the last HT I ever buy. Thanks but no thanks to a new 65r nor 4xr.

If the you tube publisher of “What’s best” would care to do a three column comparison, I would be interested in seeing it.

Bill AF7ZA

On Dec 20, 2021, at 2:33 49PM, Clint Bradford via groups.io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

[...]

Gordon West <swmeow@...>

Clint, agree 100%   !   gordon

[...]

GORDON WEST>> Clint, agree 100%   !   gordon

We were trendsetters, Gordo!

When the Yaesu FT-60R debuted, Gordon West and I initiated
pre-programming them for new hams - while I was working
for Ham Radio Outlet-Anaheim.

Newly licensed hams would come in to the store and ask for
the "Gordon West Loaded" radio ...

And man, did some hams dislike that concept. "You are simply
creating 'appliance operators'" they moaned.

What they didn't realize was that we also included my one-page
"quick programming guide" in the box - digesting the intimidating
84-page owners manual to one-half of one page. Gordo and I
ALWAYS stressed the importance of being able to manually
program whatever radio they chose to purchase.

What we enabled new hams to do was to get on the air with local
repeaters immediately - and ENJOY their privileges.The "naysayers"
never were more prominent than the realization that we were
hearing new hams on the air on "user friendly" local repeaters.

Memories ... makin' me feel old there, Gordo!

Clint

PS - Recovering from shoulder repair surgery

PPS - Not bad for only using one hand to type, eh?

David Moisan

DAVID MOISAN>> The Kenwood TH-F6 is a similar radio. It's an excellent
receiver and I take it with me everywhere!

The TH-F6a was, indeed a unique radio. The three most popular FM voice
bands - each at full 5W max TX power!

(But use the BT-13 AA case, and you only has 0.5W for a few minutes ... )

If I win the Lottery here in California, I want to commission Kenwood to possibly
build another few hundred more - adding a voice chip - and donating them to
Handiham - https://handiham.org/wordpress1/about-us/ . I never fully understood
all the reason exactly why - but many visually impaired hams told me that they,
too, truly enjoyed that radio!

I "lost" my original TH-F6a ... ran out to Eric at HRO-Burbank one afternoon to
replace it. Only to realize my original one simply wedged it way between my
waterbed mattress and frame. THEN - realizing I needed to respect my marriage
more - HTs weren't taken into the bedroom again ...

TMI, I know.

Clint

Gordon West <swmeow@...>

Me too Clint, great training in the old days. The old (yes) FT-60 was a great way to get folks on the phone dialing up 162.500 MHz, and then turning to top knob, for WEATHER!

True Excitement !

Radio Clubs across the Country are also using programming as a new way to get new local members!

gordo

[...]

Bill - this is for you ...

II just talked to a fellow ham who was considering the Yaesu FT-65 HT. A radio labelled "65" must be better than a "60," right?

Not necessarily.

The FT-60R has 1,000 memories. The '65 - about 800 fewer.

The FT-60R receives - essentially - 108-to-a-gig. INCLUDING AM aircraft reception. The '65 receives 136-174 and 400-480.

The included battery pack with the FT-60R - properly maintained - will proVide about 1,000 discharge-charge cycles. The pack with the '65? About 300.

In reading the two manuals for the FT-65, they describe unusual splits within the same band - but not the capability to program 2M / 440 split in A single memory (like the FT-60R will) for working the voice FM satellites.

The FT-60R has the optional FBA-25 AA alkaline case. Populate it with AA Alkalines or AA NiMH cells, and you have full TX power available (if really needed). No such accessory s available from Yaesu for the FT-65.

BUT - The FT-65 has an LED flashlight! It will blink out "S O S" for you, too!

And the '65 receives the commercial FM broadcast band …

Clint Bradford K6LCS