Topics

Ergonomics - Health and Safety

The more I research this topic, the more "citations" I find supporting (pun
intended) and "improving" the holding/use of my handheld antennas -
especially like the Elk and Arrow - when used a lot.

The "pistol grip" - like the one I use on my Arrow - is recommended for such
a "tool" - because that severe repeated bend of one's wrist can cause ...

" ... soreness, aches, pains, and fatigue, which, when ignored, can
lead to chronic musculoskeletal injuries (MSIs) of various kinds. The
most common examples of these
work-related musculoskeletal disorders
(WMSDs) are tendonitistenosynovitisbursitisepicondylitis (tennis elbow)
carpal tunnel syndrome and de Quervain's syndrome
.

Wow.

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonomics/handtools/tooldesign.html

And it just makes common sense: Use one of these antenna WITH AND WITHOUT
such a wrist-angle improvement, and your wrist will tell you which is more comfortable.

Clint

David Spoelstra

And the counter-balance makes a TON of difference!

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 1:07 PM Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

such a write-angle improvement, and your wrist will tell you which is more comfortable.

Yes - sometimes “common sense” comes into play ... (grin).

Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

There comes a point when it just safer to sit down and have a pie and a pint.

Clint Bradford

That is quite obvious! The less strain you place on a body's joint, the better!

Clint Bradford

Dennis Miller used to end his rants with a similar phrase ... Not printable here in a family
forum ... (grin).

Clint Bradford

I was just advised that someone on the planet doesn't care about wrist strain, and wrote
that "This ergonomic grip idea of Clint's cannot be good - 'cause the manufacturer didn't
include it with the product."

Silly argument, at best ...

Take the automobile industry, as a really easy-to-understand example. Many "base"
vehicles do NOT come with many "accessories" that make life more enjoyable,
efficient, and comfortable. Like these very popular aftermarket accessories ...

-Higher-grade Floor Mats & Liners
  • -Tonneau Covers
  • -Air Intake System Improvements
  • -Seat Covers
  • -Exhaust, Mufflers & Tips
  • -Performance Chips

... all very popular categories of "aftermarket accessories" that make
conscientious and quality-focused companies millions of dollars.

So why dismiss an idea that has been shown to be more ergonomically
correct by experts in that field? I dunno. Some people just like to complain
for complaining's sake. None of them are in my bookmarks ... (grin)

AF7ZA

Edited

“Complainers”
 very much like Vomit. Uncontrolled expulsion of substance often brought on by over indulgence of something consumed beyond moderation.
After effects affect those nearby and someone else has to clean up. Nasty !

Takeaways: Alerts  us to the facts there are complainers and why Not to be one.

Thank you for your work Mr. B. It’s always a pleasure to read your work helping to advance the hobby of Ham Radio.

Very 73
Bill AF7ZA

On Jul 6, 2018, at 9:38 20AM, Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford@...> wrote:
[...]

  <Screen Shot 2018_07_06 at 9.37.26 AM.jpg>

Clint Bradford

Bill - Thank you for your kind words.

Many hams saw my "handle mod" of the Arrow today. Several held it themselves,
and were pleased at how much less stress such "balance" caused more comfort
to their joints - both wrist and elbow.

There was even an amateur videographer from Arizona in attendance - one who
is proud of his membership in the six-member "anti-anything-Clint" club. He even
shot video of hams stating how "balanced" and "more comfortable" my simple
mod was.

But do not hold your breath waiting for that video to appear anywhere on the 'Net.

(grin)

Clint

z_ kevino

Clint, is it as simple as finding a plastic handled hacksaw, disassembling the hacksaw and then strapping it to the main boom?
I'm wondering if someone has modeled a similar shape that could be 3d printed, perhaps even with a way to clip onto the square stock?
-Kevin (KK4YEL)

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced !

On Jul 7, 2018, at 23:48, Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

Bill - Thank you for your kind words.

Many hams saw my "handle mod" of the Arrow today. Several held it themselves,
and were pleased at how much less stress such "balance" caused more comfort
to their joints - both wrist and elbow.

There was even an amateur videographer from Arizona in attendance - one who
is proud of his membership in the six-member "anti-anything-Clint" club. He even
shot video of hams stating how "balanced" and "more comfortable" my simple
mod was.

But do not hold your breath waiting for that video to appear anywhere on the 'Net.

(grin)

A couple notes ...

Watch out for the diplexer - if you have one - as you drill in to the mast for any “mods.” (Grin)

That HT tray mod does have one screw just beyond the diplexer to assist affixing it.

The hacksaw handle is affixed with that strong Scotch(tm) adhesive tape, along with heavy-duty Zip ties. It hasn’t budged a bit, and makes holding and rotating the Arrow much less stressful on my wrist and elbow. I eliminated the radiator hose clamp ...

I will update that mod’s page in the next couple of days ...

http://www.k6lcs.com/k6lcs/Photos/Pages/Arrow_Mod.html