From: Work-Sat@groups.io <Work-Sat@groups.io> on behalf of Bud Raridon <bud-raridon@...>
Sent: 23 August 2021 17:07
To: Work-Sat@groups.io <Work-Sat@groups.io>
Subject: [Work-Sat] Do clouds or high humidity affect satellite communications?

Hi Guy,
I have a "newbie" question.
Do clouds or high humidity affect satellite communications?
73,
BudR.
WB6RDO

Clint Bradford

That is a GREAT question!

And someone here will better answer you - but I have not found that cloudcover has been problematic on the FM voice repeaters.

Randy Schulze

While I have seen Satellite Television Downlinks interrupted by serious rain fall, my experience in working the FM Amateur Radio Satellites has seen little to no effect on performance.  This has included heavy snow storms, rain storms, (without lightening,*) and even through the roof of a building during a rainstorm.  Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW9rxdNT5H0

(*I have no idea if it would have worked or not with the lightening.  I just thought it might be unwise waiving a metal antenna around during a thunderstorm!)

None of this is based on any technical or scientific information, but is based on my experience and observations.

73 and Have Fun!

Randy Schulze
KDØHKD
Kansas City, Missouri