Topics

D72 vs D74

Kirk P <inservice2him@...>

I have a basically new TH-D72 that Ive just begun using for SATS.

Im being offered a NIB D74 at a really good price from SK estate.

Question, Is there a significant improvement in the D74 over the D72 where as I should consider its purchase?

I'd like to hear from this group as I'm sure there are several of you that have experience with both of these units.

Thanks

Kirk, N0KK

Sent from Outlook

Clint Bradford

The '72 performs true, full-duplex. The newer '74 does not.

A great HT, though!!!

Jer W

That is why I use the D72A

Jerry

On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 6:13 PM, Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

The '72 performs true, full-duplex. The newer '74 does not.

A great HT, though!!!

Fred Hillhouse

A second cheap HT gets you around the “full-duplex” issue. In some ways it can simplify operation.

The newer D74 will do DStar while the D72 won’t.

The '72 performs true, full-duplex. The newer '74 does not.

A great HT, though!!!

Jer W

Fred, D-Star is not popular in my area as is the 220MHz band, so I elected
for the 72A. Don't worry about the extra cost, just save your money and get it. You won't regret it.

Jerry

On Wednesday, August 15, 2018 6:17 PM, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

A second cheap HT gets you around the “full-duplex” issue. In some ways it can simplify operation.

The newer D74 will do DStar while the D72 won’t.

The '72 performs true, full-duplex. The newer '74 does not.

A great HT, though!!!

Max White

Save the money and use it to buy another D-72...

DE Max/M0VNG

I have a basically new TH-D72 that Ive just begun using for SATS.

Im being offered a NIB D74 at a really good price from SK estate.

Question, Is there a significant improvement in the D74 over the D72 where as I should consider its purchase?

I'd like to hear from this group as I'm sure there are several of you that have experience with both of these units.

Thanks

Kirk, N0KK

Sent from Outlook

Ian Turner

My 2 Cents

Full Duplex is nice but working Sats with a HT is fast and furious it's nice to have DStar and APRS when not using the Birdies.

Full Duplex is nice but not a deal breaker and even if no Dstar repeaters you don't need any just get a Hotspot and your all set.

There have been several of us that have went the 74 route over the 72.
--
Ian
KM4CQG

Fred Hillhouse

Hi Jerry,

I already have the D72 and will need a good reason to replace it.

I don’t understand the comment on 220Mhz. The D72 doesn’t do that but I think the D74 can.

I have a 1st gen D-Star HT and never really used it. D-Star wasn’t in the area for a while and when it became available, it was still out of range. So it sits. I am not even sure it will work all that well with the current D-Star paradigm (whatever that may be).

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

The '72 performs true, full-duplex. The newer '74 does not.

A great HT, though!!!

I got a 74 and took it back the next day and bought the 72 which I love. For d-star, I use an Icom 51A and a hotspot.

KC9UQR

Sent from Brad’s iPad

On Aug 16, 2018, at 2:45 PM, Ian Turner <flyjets01@...> wrote:

My 2 Cents

Full Duplex is nice but working Sats with a HT is fast and furious it's nice to have DStar and APRS when not using the Birdies.

Full Duplex is nice but not a deal breaker and even if no Dstar repeaters you don't need any just get a Hotspot and your all set.

There have been several of us that have went the 74 route over the 72.
--
Ian
KM4CQG

Jer W

Hi Fred,
Just wanted to mention that 220MHz is just about dead. Almost all the hams are either on 2M or 70cm repeaters.
I heard there have been some interest in a ham TV repeater. There uses to be a couple of them years ago, but have since been shut down.
Now I hear the talk of bringing one of them back. I'm not interested in ham TV.

Jerry