Topics

Current Birds

Les Rayburn

Trying to get back on the birds after being off for over three years. (This is becoming like a broken record for me.)

Carlos was kind enough to send me a current Doppler.SQF file for SatPC32, and I have that installed. While I have done some digital contacts on satellites, most of my operations will be confined to SSB/CW and FM birds. There are literally dozens of amateur satellites active now—can someone tell me which ones are the most active over the US and have good signals?

Using small Arrow beams mounted on a rotor in the attic with pre-amps.

Thanks—hope to work some of you later today or tonight!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

Clint Bradford

AO-91 still the "easiest" FM voice bird to work - and it stays in 2m/440 mode for us all the time.

AO-92 about the same ease of use, but you have to know when it goes in to 1.2gHZ uplink mode (usually once a week on the weekends for 24 hours - watch AMSAT's Twitter feed for exact times).

Then SO-50 and AO-85 - each just a little more "finicky" to get in to, but definitely workable with 4-5W and handheld antennas.

Clint

Jer W

Hi Clint,
I do have the 5W HT, but can you bring me up to speed as to why the SO-50 and the AO-85 are a little more difficult to get into? I have not tried those.

Jerry...W8RQM

On Sunday, December 16, 2018, 12:53:45 PM EST, Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

AO-91 still the "easiest" FM voice bird to work - and it stays in 2m/440 mode for us all the time.

AO-92 about the same ease of use, but you have to know when it goes in to 1.2gHZ uplink mode (usually once a week on the weekends for 24 hours - watch AMSAT's Twitter feed for exact times).

Then SO-50 and AO-85 - each just a little more "finicky" to get in to, but definitely workable with 4-5W and handheld antennas.

'85 has a damaged/defective receive antenna. And, most recently, it is suffering
from low onboard power problems: We are not to use it for the time being.

SO-50? Just a little off-frequency ... as well as our longest-lasting FM voice bird.
Just take a little more finesse than '91 ans '92 - STILL very workable with 4-5W
and gain antenna!