Topics

Best Sats to work Question

Paul Ecker

Haven't worked and amateur satellites in a few years. Thinking about getting back into. Can some give me a list or a link to the best ones to help shake off the rust with these days ?

73 Paul w2eck

Brad Smith

In my humble opinion, the easiest to work are AO-91 and AO-92 on weekdays or in the evening. Next would be SO-50, same times. Brad KC9UQR

In a message dated 3/21/2020 1:04:11 PM Central Standard Time, eckerpw@... writes:

Haven't worked and amateur satellites in a few years. Thinking about getting back into. Can some give me a list or a link to the best ones to help shake off the rust with these days ?

73 Paul w2eck

Clint Bradford

Yes! ‘91 always in same mode ... ‘92 switches to a 1.2gHz uplink for about a day a week. And good ole SO-50 - although a little finicky to get in to - is there, too!

And, of course, the ISS’ packet transmissions.

Frequency chart at work-sat.com for you.

Paul Ecker

Thank You all for the replies and updated information- will get to work on them.

73 Paul w2eck

Also, I'd add to that, PO-101. It's one of the newest satellites out there, but it only operates according to a schedule. Generally, it's Friday and Sunday for the Americas.

Check here for more recommendations:

I have also found that all of SO-50, AO-91, and AO-92 can be worked easily with just a good, quality HT and a cheap whip antenna during the few minutes of the peak of the pass when there it little competition, like in the evening. I put a few audio recordings on SoundCloud demonstrating the quality if you are interested.

- Loren
K7IW

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020, 06:27 Paul Ecker <eckerpw@...> wrote:
Thank You all for the replies and updated information- will get to work on them.

73 Paul w2eck

Brad Smith

Hope to work you on the birds. Brad KC9UQR

Sent from Brad's iPod

On Mar 22, 2020, at 8:27 AM, Paul Ecker <eckerpw@...> wrote:

Thank You all for the replies and updated information- will get to work on them.

73 Paul w2eck

Brad Smith

I have not been able to get into PO-101. It also seems more difficult to receive than the other birds.

Sent from Brad's iPod

On Mar 22, 2020, at 8:49 AM, Loren Lang <penguin359@...> wrote:

Also, I'd add to that, PO-101. It's one of the newest satellites out there, but it only operates according to a schedule. Generally, it's Friday and Sunday for the Americas.

Check here for more recommendations:

I have also found that all of SO-50, AO-91, and AO-92 can be worked easily with just a good, quality HT and a cheap whip antenna during the few minutes of the peak of the pass when there it little competition, like in the evening. I put a few audio recordings on SoundCloud demonstrating the quality if you are interested.

- Loren
K7IW

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020, 06:27 Paul Ecker <eckerpw@...> wrote:
Thank You all for the replies and updated information- will get to work on them.

73 Paul w2eck

Jer W

Brad, what are the frequencies of the PO-101?

Jerry...W8RQM

On Sunday, March 22, 2020, 9:58:49 AM EDT, Brad Smith via Groups.Io <corlissbs@...> wrote:

[...]

Receive Frequency Transmit Frequency Offset Frequency Offset Direction Operating Mode Name Tone Mode CTCSS Rx CTCSS DCS Skip Step Tx Step Comment 145.90000 145.90000 Simplex FM PO101RCV None 67.0 Hz 67.0 Hz 023 0 5 kHz 5 kHz
437.49000 437.49000 Simplex FM PO101A Tone 141.3 Hz 141.3 Hz 023 0 5 kHz 5 kHz
437.49500 437.49500 Simplex FM PO101B Tone 141.3 Hz 141.3 Hz 023 0 5 kHz 5 kHz
437.50000 437.50000 Simplex FM PO101C Tone 141.3 Hz 141.3 Hz 023 0 25 kHz 25 kHz
437.50500 437.50500 Simplex FM PO101D Tone 141.3 Hz 141.3 Hz 023 0 5 kHz 5 kHz
437.51000 437.51000 Simplex FM PO101E Tone 141.3 Hz 141.3 Hz 023 0 5 kHz 5 kHz

This is the data from my RT Systems programmer.

Brad KC9UQR

In a message dated 3/22/2020 9:19:48 AM Central Standard Time, jplanner@... writes:

[...]

Thanks Brad.

Jerry...W8RQM

On Sunday, March 22, 2020, 10:52:01 AM EDT, Brad Smith via Groups.Io <corlissbs@...> wrote:

[...]

Please let me know if you get into the bird.

Brad KC9UQR

In a message dated 3/22/2020 10:05:49 AM Central Standard Time, jplanner@... writes:

[...]

Edward Maikranz

Make sure you use the correct tone, it is different from the others at 141.3

I havent worked it with a handheld set up but with the home station I find it very easy to access.

Good luck,
Ed
KG5UN
EM02

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 8:58 AM Brad Smith via Groups.Io <corlissbs=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

What are the best Android and iOS Apps these days for Sat prediction information ? And for that matter, Windows apps ?

thanks
Paul
w2eck

Paul Zynosky

Paul,

Hope you and Cathy are hanging in there!

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but for the PC I use;

It runs on my iPad and PC. Never tried on my phone, screen's too small!

It's "Donate ware", but gives me all the information I need.

de
Paul
W4PPZ

What are the best Android and iOS Apps these days for Sat prediction information ? And for that matter, Windows apps ?

thanks
Paul
w2eck

David Spoelstra

For Android, the very best is ISS Detector. It's really incredible.

-David, N9KT

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 8:52 AM Paul Ecker <eckerpw@...> wrote:
What are the best Android and iOS Apps these days for Sat prediction information ? And for that matter, Windows apps ?

thanks
Paul
w2eck

David Spoelstra

I guess it works on IOS now too!

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 9:27 AM David Spoelstra via Groups.Io <davids=mediamachine.com@groups.io> wrote:
For Android, the very best is ISS Detector. It's really incredible.

-David, N9KT

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 8:52 AM Paul Ecker <eckerpw@...> wrote:
What are the best Android and iOS Apps these days for Sat prediction information ? And for that matter, Windows apps ?

thanks
Paul
w2eck

Clint Bradford

Check out the suggestions on the TRACKING page at ...
http://www.work-sat.com

Edward Maikranz

On my Iphone I use ISS Detector, it is excellent.
At home on my Windows 10 machine I use Gpredict and like it very much as well.
Ed
KG5UN

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 7:52 AM Paul Ecker <eckerpw@...> wrote:
What are the best Android and iOS Apps these days for Sat prediction information ? And for that matter, Windows apps ?

thanks
Paul
w2eck

Brad Smith

On my iPhone, I use the HamSat app. I really like it.

Brad KC9UQR

N0BML

On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 05:52:50AM -0700, Paul Ecker wrote:

What are the best Android and iOS Apps these days for Sat prediction information ? And for that matter, Windows apps ?
I use SatSat on my iPhone Xr because I can quickly find future passes for
multiple satellites and it allows me to add them to my calendar.

On my iPad I use SatTrack because I like the display to help my try and
point my antenna during the pass.

73 de N0BML!