Topics

AO-92 Mode Change Failure

Although hams were advised via Twitter feed and probably in the AMSAT-BB mailing list service NOT to access AO-92 if they heard control operators on it, apparently that word did not get out to all who want to enjoy ‘92.

I propose a solution.

Many do not use Twitter, for whatever reasons. Many don’t want to subscribe to another email list and receive a bunch of messages, for whatever reasons.

AMSAT-NA can establish a broadcast-only message service. Accept no replies. Woidn’t be more difficult for moderator to use than the one-sentence blasts used on the Twitter account now.

Market it with the “how to work it” paper: “You need to know what mode AO-92 will be in to operate - watch our Twitter feed or sign on to the “AO-92 Status” group ...

Just might get the word out to more hams!

Randal Rutkowski

Well, I am a new Ham and trying to contact Oscar92.  That being said I know nothing about your thread nor what it means.  So far I have only listened.  I am using two hand heads.
Thanks
Randy KM6RBG

On Aug 5, 2018, at 8:47 PM, Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

Although hams were advised via Twitter feed and probably in the AMSAT-BB mailing list service NOT to access AO-92 if they heard control operators on it, apparently that word did not get out to all who want to enjoy ‘92.

I propose a solution.

Many do not use Twitter, for whatever reasons. Manu don’t want to subscribe to another email list, for whatever reasons.

AMSAT-NA can establish a broadcast-only message service. Accept no replies. Woidn’t be more difficult got moderator to use than the one-sentence blasts used on the Twitter account now.

Market it with the “how to work it” paper: “You need to know what mode AO-92 will be in to operate - watch out Twitter feed or sign on to the “AO-92 Status” group ...

Just might get the worf out to more hams!

Clint Bradford

AO-92 has more than one mode built in to it, as well as other projects.

When it is in 2M downlink and 440 uplink - which is MOST of the time - THAT'S when
most are working it.

But once a week or so, the Control Team will place it in 1.2GHZ Uplink / 2M downlink
mode. Only lasts, usually, 24 hours.

Best method - as of now - to see which mode it is in is to monitor the AMSAT Twitter feed at ...

https://twitter.com/AMSAT

The earlier message refers to a situation where the control operators had asked the amateur
community to stay OFF the bird while they worked on it from the ground. Someone either
didn't read/hear that - or accidentally interfered with ops - or, worse of all, intentionally
interfered with operations.

AO-91 - easiest to work portable. As close to the "feel" of AO-51 we have!

AO-85 and SO-50 each are, well, finicky to get in to. AO-85 has a damaged
antenna, and they both require as much power as you can muster portable,
and a good antenna.

AO-92 - just have to make sure it is in the mode you expect it to be in!

Clint

Jer W

Clint,
When you say a lot of power to get into AO85.
What kind of power limits are you talking about?

Jerry

On Monday, August 6, 2018 1:34 AM, Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

AO-91 - easiest to work portable. As close to the "feel" of AO-51 we have!

AO-85 and SO-50 each are, well, finicky to get in to. AO-85 has a damaged
antenna, and they both require as much power as you can muster portable,
and a good antenna.

AO-92 - just have to make sure it is in the mode you expect it to be in!

Clint

Randal Rutkowski

Thanks Clint!  I have yet to have a great Sat experience using two handhelds, but I do listen and have hitting contacts a couple times.  Problem is hearing and being able to copy the call sign and Grid.  I need a SLO time with little traffic.
Thanks
Randy
KM6RBG

On Aug 5, 2018, at 10:32 PM, Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

AO-92 has more than one mode built in to it, as well as other projects.

When it is in 2M downlink and 440 uplink - which is MOST of the time - THAT'S when
most are working it.

But once a week or so, the Control Team will place it in 1.2GHZ Uplink / 2M downlink
mode. Only lasts, usually, 24 hours.

Best method - as of now - to see which mode it is in is to monitor the AMSAT Twitter feed at ...

https://twitter.com/AMSAT

The earlier message refers to a situation where the control operators had asked the amateur
community to stay OFF the bird while they worked on it from the ground. Someone either
didn't read/hear that - or accidentally interfered with ops - or, worse of all, intentionally
interfered with operations.

A base station operator I know reliable gets in to AO-85 with 15W and a rotator-mounted Yagi.

On 30-35-degree passes handheld, I have gotten into it with 4-5W and an Arrow 146/437-10

When ops were handed over to AMSAT-NA, AMSAT published ... (but don't be scared off by this!):

  1. Uplink power should be on the order of minimum 200 W EIRP for full quieting at lower antenna elevation angles. Your mileage may vary. With an Arrow, 5 W has been used successfully to make contacts.
  2. Polarity is important. The satellite antennas are linear. So, if you are using linearly polarized antennas, you will need to adjust throughout the pass. Full duplex operation facilitates these adjustments while transmitting and is highly recommended.
  3. The downlink is very strong and should be heard well with almost any antenna.

Clint Bradford

Got a smartphone - whether current and connected to a phone company or an older model
sitting around? Use its voice recorder app! Just place it in your shirt pocket - or near whatever
speaker you are using. You can "transcribe" the callsigns and grid squares after the passes!

Clint Bradford

A post from April 30 ... Like I said, the control ops "recommend" more power, but '85 is do-able
with less! This was a contact with KB6LTY back in April ...

Apr 30

Wow ... thought more power was needed for AO-85 - but just worked her with 2W TX power
into an Arrow Sat Antenna. SO - do not be reluctant to try "better" passes of '85 with "lower" TX power!

It WAS a pass right over my barn, though ... (grin)

'85 and '92 over the house within a half-hour ... great mid-morning treats!

Clint

Randal Rutkowski

Thanks!  Great idea!  I do have and old smart phone!