Topics

AO-85 (aka "FOX-1A) where are you?

Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Hi,

I am just about to start trying to work satellites with a handie. I downloaded a list of suitable amateur satellites from work-sat.com, but none of the orbital programs I have list AO-85 which is on that sheet. Is that bird available?

Thanks

Fred Hillhouse

Has your orbital application downloaded the latest TLEs? I believe that bird is found in the amateur TLE.

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 5:23 AM -0400, "Guy G4DWV 4X1LT" <guy@...> wrote:

Hi,

I am just about to start trying to work satellites with a handie. I downloaded a list of suitable amateur satellites from work-sat.com, but none of the orbital programs I have list AO-85 which is on that sheet. Is that bird available?

Thanks

Jer W

What does TLE stand for?

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 8:23, Fred Hillhouse
<fmhillhouse@...> wrote:
Has your orbital application downloaded the latest TLEs? I believe that bird is found in the amateur TLE.

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 5:23 AM -0400, "Guy G4DWV 4X1LT" <guy@...> wrote:

Hi,

I am just about to start trying to work satellites with a handie. I downloaded a list of suitable amateur satellites from work-sat.com, but none of the orbital programs I have list AO-85 which is on that sheet. Is that bird available?

Thanks

Caid McClallen

This will probably be no help, but I did learn a few things reading the list....
  73-
  Caid
  W1CX.

On Jul 22, 2018, at 9:16 AM, Jer W <jplanner@...> wrote:

What does TLE stand for?

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 8:23, Fred Hillhouse
Has your orbital application downloaded the latest TLEs? I believe that bird is found in the amateur TLE.

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 5:23 AM -0400, "Guy G4DWV 4X1LT" <guy@...> wrote:

Hi,

I am just about to start trying to work satellites with a handie. I downloaded a list of suitable amateur satellites from work-sat.com, but none of the orbital programs I have list AO-85 which is on that sheet. Is that bird available?

Thanks

Jer W

Thanks Caid, but I am no fan of acronyms.

Jerry

On Sunday, July 22, 2018 10:03 AM, Caid McClallen <mcclallen@...> wrote:

This will probably be no help, but I did learn a few things reading the list....
  73-
  Caid
  W1CX.

On Jul 22, 2018, at 9:16 AM, Jer W <jplanner@...> wrote:

What does TLE stand for?

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 8:23, Fred Hillhouse
Has your orbital application downloaded the latest TLEs? I believe that bird is found in the amateur TLE.

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 5:23 AM -0400, "Guy G4DWV 4X1LT" <guy@...> wrote:

Hi,

I am just about to start trying to work satellites with a handie. I downloaded a list of suitable amateur satellites from work-sat.com, but none of the orbital programs I have list AO-85 which is on that sheet. Is that bird available?

Thanks

Fred Hillhouse

You should st least know TLA and FLA.
TLA (three letter acronym)
FLA (four letter acronym)

:)

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 10:16 AM -0400, "Jer W" <jplanner@...> wrote:

[...]

Clint Bradford

Actually, those are abbreviations - not acronyms (grin).

Acronyms can be spoken as words (scuba, OSCAR).

(Sorry - my wife is a professional proofreader ... (grin).)

Clint Bradford

Because AO-85 was carried on and deployed from a military mission, some sources for your Keplerian data may not have it listed.

AMSAT.org has it in their listings.

TLE stands for “two-line elements” - a common form of sat pass data.

Jer W

Edited

Thanks Clint about the TLE meaning. I really need to call you and discuss a few things
about the SATS so I can get up to speed and work the SATS. Should have my 70cm antenna built
soon along with the 2M antenna.
Thanks for all your input.

Jerry...W8RQM

On Sunday, July 22, 2018 12:01 PM, Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

Because AO-85 was carried on and deployed from a military mission, some sources for your Keplerian data may not have it listed.

AMSAT.org has it in their listings.

TLE stands for “two-line elements” - a common form of sat pass data.

With its receive antenna problem, ‘85 is a little more difficult to get in to ...

’50 a little easier.

’91 is fun!

And you need to watch AMSAT-NA’s Twitter feed to make sure ‘92 is in the mode you “want” it to be in (Grin). It will sometimes go on to a 1.2gHZ Uplink mode: So you’ll be outside and HEAR it on that wonderfully strong 2m downlink ... but you’ll not get in to it on 440 if it is expecting 1.2 .... (grin).

‘92 also carries other experiments that supercede FM voice repeater modes.

Which sat pass program(s) are you using?

Clint

Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Hi,

I Updated the TLEs for all my programs (Gpredict, Nova and Previsat) from the self same sources, viz* www.celestrak.com. So I cannot see why 2 progs have the bird and another does not.

*Clint, I hope your wife would be suitably impressed that I did not put a full stop after the "z" ;-).

Cheers

Guy

Clint Bradford

Adding '85 to gPredict:

Erich, DK1TB, has provided a short guide on how to manually add new satellites

to a couple popular satellite tracking programs ...

https://amsat-uk.org/2013/11/23/adding-new-satellites-to-satpc32/

Clint Bradford

And as you start out, it is great to use more than one "program/system" to verify your passes.

N2YO.com ... Heavens-Above ... and other free sites on the TRACKING page at ...

http://www.work-sat.com

It is easy to accidentally mis-input correct time or location in a couple programs ... using
another source verifies you are all set up properly.

And don't frustrate yourself with sub-10-degree passes right now: Wrk the higher-elevation
passes!

HamSat for the iPhone has it listed.

KC9UQR

Sent from Brad's iPod

On Jul 22, 2018, at 11:01 AM, Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

Because AO-85 was carried on and deployed from a military mission, some sources for your Keplerian data may not have it listed.

AMSAT.org has it in their listings.

TLE stands for “two-line elements” - a common form of sat pass data.

Brad Smith

Clint:

How do we do 1.2 on an HT?

KC9UQR

Sent from Brad's iPod

On Jul 22, 2018, at 12:05 PM, Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

With its receive antenna problem, ‘85 is a little more difficult to get in to ...

’50 a little easier.

’91 is fun!

And you need to watch AMSAT-NA’s Twitter feed to make sure ‘92 is in the mode you “want” it to be in (Grin). It will sometimes go on to a 1.2gHZ Uplink mode: So you’ll be outside and HEAR it on that wonderfully strong 2m downlink ... but you’ll not get in to it on 440 if it is expecting 1.2 .... (grin).

ot also carries other experiments that supercede FM voice repeater modes.

Clint

fejohnso

Heavens Above shows it.

On Sunday, July 22, 2018, 6:01:49 PM EDT, Brad Smith via Groups.Io <corlissbs@...> wrote:

HamSat for the iPhone has it listed.

KC9UQR

Sent from Brad's iPod

On Jul 22, 2018, at 11:01 AM, Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

Because AO-85 was carried on and deployed from a military mission, some sources for your Keplerian data may not have it listed.

AMSAT.org has it in their listings.

TLE stands for “two-line elements” - a common form of sat pass data.

Clint Bradford

Mostly with base units ... But the old Icom IC-T81a can get in - although only
1W output. There are a few plans out there to build your own 1.2gHZ handheld
antenna. And there's a rumor that we'll have an exciting 1.2 offering from a very
well-respected manufacturer next year.

Fred Hillhouse

Interesting, I had AO-85 for Gpredict (Win 2.2.1) on my PC. Or maybe I understood the comment below.

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

From: Work-Sat@groups.io [mailto:Work-Sat@groups.io] On Behalf Of Clint Bradford via Groups.Io

Adding '85 to gPredict:

Erich, DK1TB, has provided a short guide on how to manually add new satellites to a couple popular satellite tracking programs ...

https://amsat-uk.org/2013/11/23/adding-new-satellites-to-satpc32/

Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Edited

Hi all,

Erich lists Nova as needing to add a new bird manually. This program picked up '85 automatically as did Previsat. Those instructions are way too complicated for a noob like myself. The option "Add new satellite to the local database" *is* selected in Gpredict.