Topics

Antenna help

Randy Davenport

I am disabled and low income. It's hard to hold my large sat antenna. Can somebody build me an antenna like the ones listed below?
1 2 element  on 2m, 3 element on 70cm

Randy ka4nma

Brad Smith

I assume that you are using an Arrow 2 antenna??? An easy fix for this is to find a used camera tripod. $10 max on Craig's List. There is a 1/4-20 screw on top to hold the camera. I have made a plastic "Y" that mounts to the screw and supports the antenna boom, so it is no longer heavy. This also keeps the antenna steady. Let me know when you get the tripod and I will make you the "Y" and mail it to you.  Brad Smith KC9UQR

In a message dated 8/23/2019 3:36:21 AM Central Standard Time, pastor.spaceboy@... writes:

I am disabled and low income. It's hard to hold my large sat antenna. Can somebody build me an antenna like the ones listed below?
1 2 element  on 2m, 3 element on 70cm

Randy ka4nma

Randy Davenport

Hi Brad,

I have an arrow clone with all elements horizontal. I also have a tripod I am good on qrz.

Randy ka4nma

On Fri, Aug 23, 2019, 1:43 PM Brad Smith via Groups.Io <corlissbs=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Randy, I will get it made in the next few days and on the way to you.

73 Brad KC9UQR

In a message dated 8/23/2019 12:49:56 PM Central Standard Time, pastor.spaceboy@... writes:

[...]

Clint Bradford

WOW - Extaordinary - Thank you, Brad!

Greg

Brad Smith

Randy, your antenna rest for the tripos is finished and will go out in tomorrow's mail from WI. Hope t work you on the birds.

[...]

Can you post a photo? I'd like to make one two.

[...]

Greg: Here are two pics. Since the camera tripod has a 1/4"-20 thread to mount the camera, it is easy to tighten this part to the tripod. I made mine out of 1/2" acrylic that I had laying around the shop. All that is needed is a saw, a #7 drill and a 1/4"-20 tap.

Previous to this, I used a cheap Shooting Stick, which can be pushed into grass, but the tripod can also be used on hard surfaces.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS gave me the idea in his website work-sat.com.

73 Brad KC9UQR

In a message dated 8/24/2019 6:34:56 AM Central Standard Time, greg@... writes:

[...]

Jer W

Brad,
   Interesting concept.

Jerry...W8RQM

On Saturday, August 24, 2019, 10:07:19 AM EDT, Brad Smith via Groups.Io <corlissbs@...> wrote:

[...]

It's fantastic for a low pass. Keeps the antenna steady on the bird.

Brad KC9UQR

In a message dated 8/24/2019 9:15:02 AM Central Standard Time, jplanner@... writes:

[...]

Fred Hillhouse

Have you measured the affect the metal in the tripod might have on the antenna tuning?

Fred N7FMH

On August 24, 2019 at 10:23 AM "Brad Smith via Groups.Io" <corlissbs@...> wrote:

It's fantastic for a low pass. Keeps the antenna steady on the bird.

Brad KC9UQR

In a message dated 8/24/2019 9:15:02 AM Central Standard Time, jplanner@... writes:

_._,_._,_

Brad Smith

No effect at all. But the top extendable rod and top part are plastic. The aluminum legs are over a foot away from my antenna. I never gave that a thought. I do own a heavy duty tripos that is all metal. I should try it. But look for plastic upper portion in a tripod.

Brad KC9UQR