Topics

moderated AMSAT Announces Candidates for 2020 Board of Directors Election

Kinda surprised to see WE4B again "running" for an AMSAT-NA board position ...

He recently publicly wrote:

"I make no bones that I feel that the majority of the [AMSAT-NA] BOD are
doing a true disservice to AMSAT. That's why we have elections ... I was
elated with the outcome of the last election. It went just as planned :)
I was happy to draw votes away from other incumbents during the last
election."

What a campaign statement.
For a guy who also recently wrote ...

"AMSAT is a sham of an organization"

... and ...

"It's time to take my hard-earned membership dollars elsewhere"

- I thought his preoccupation with AMSAT-NA may wane. I guess I was
wrong. He's running again - again with the intent to lose and draw votes
away from others?

What a platform upon which to run ... Think I will vote for officers who truly
care about the advancement of the hobby and the future of amateur radio satellites.

But that's just me  ... I could be wrong.

Clint K6LCS

Brad Smith

Brad - May I assume that this special notice published 07/04/2020 is not satisfactory ...

AMSAT Responds to Allegations of Unauthorized Legal Expenses

The Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation (AMSAT) has been made aware of public comments alleging financial mismanagement in the form of “unauthorized” legal expenditures. AMSAT takes these allegations very seriously and in full disclosure, has investigated these claims for many months.

AMSAT’s corporate records give a full accounting of all expenditures and are provided to its Directors upon request, in compliance with our governing documents and law of the District of Columbia (D.C.) Our office remains closed due to COVID-19, where those documents reside. Furthermore, AMSAT complies with IRS rules for 501(c)(3) disclosure of public financial documents, such as the Form 990 available on the AMSAT website. Financial review and accounting services from a third-party firm of Certified Public Accountants are utilized by the corporation to ensure governance to best practice and law.

The Corporation vehemently denies false statements alleging “unauthorized” expenditures.

On behalf of AMSAT,

Clayton Coleman, W5PFG
President

BRAD SMITH >  I have read everything pertaining to this subject. I have been a member of AMSAT since 2013. I have donated to AMSAT before and just donated again. But I am dismayed to learn that in excess of $18,000 has been spent by the board to keep the present board intact. This concerns me. I think that due to this allegation, the spending finances of AMSAT should be made public to the membership. What Patrick and Michelle had to go through to actually become part of the board, was not proper. I believed we had a Board of Directors and not two classes of board members. We didn't vote these members in to have them reduced to whatever you want to call it.

A detailed explanation is in order.

73 Brad KC9UQR

Brad Smith

Well, I do not believe a professional media relations firm was consulted before making the decision
to publish that announcement 7/4/2020. The three public relations professionals to whom I have spoken
to about this scenario each emphatically stated that that "announcement" should not have been made
in that manner. "Its is going to cause AMSAT grief ... " was the consensus.

And so it goes ...  -Ckint

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hi Clint:

Since the article about the $18,000 has been published, other members have been discussing this and the article raised doubts in some minds. At this point, I think a more definitive statement would be better received.

73 Brad KC9UQR

Brad Smith

Clayton:

I have been thinking more about this subject. In my opinion, the integrity of the board has been compromised by the accusations. If we lose members because of it, we can't just assume that another will be born every minute. A believable and thorough explanation has to be forthcoming, to clear out any doubts. The explanation given sounds too much like "I'm from the government, trust me."

73 Brad KC9UQR

In a message dated 7/5/2020 10:36:55 AM Central Standard Time, corlissbs@... writes:

[...]

Clint Bradford

Thank you for your kind words.

Well, there's a lot "weird" about him ... too bizarre to lay out here.

IMHO, there is only one AMSAT-NA candidate worthy of consideration.
Due to his long-time commitment to the hobby and dedication to making
it better for us all, the only one deserving of my vote Bruce Paige KK5DO.

Clint K6LCS

Hi Clint,

Who is this IDIOT WE4B Jeff Johns that is trying to disrupt and destroy our great
and wonderful hobby of amateur radio for the satellites? Never heard of this guy.
Sounds like a troublemaker to me - trying to "stir up the troops."

There are many hams that love your website and also all the time and effort you
put into the SATS. You are a HERO to many of us with your expertise and you have
been so helpful to me with all the great info about them. Thank you so much.

Personality I think he is jealous of you because of your valuable knowledge of the
SATS and how you have taken so much of your personal time to help others, especially
the newbies that are coming on board.

I forgot who is the other ham by the name I believe Patrick is his name that I also
think he gave you a hard time. Forgot where I read it, but maybe on the AMSAT-BB,
not sure.

Keep up the great work, Clint, and forget about a few who are of little value to the hobby.

Thanks for all your help.

/end/

Max White

Edited

I am proudly also a member of AMSAT-UK.

Well, you are partially correct: I established this message board (formerly for years in Yahoo Groups) to be a "support site" of sorts for my satellite presentations (more than 100 performed so far ... )

But discussing the present and future of AMSAT-NA - or AMSAT-UK for that matter - is, I believe, important.

If it gets too weird - well, we'll see.

THANK YOU.

Clint K6LCS

All

Is this really the forum for political manifestos etc on AMSAT? Those list members who are paid up, they will make their own decisions. Though having read through what those who were recently elected have to say, I feel people should look under the bonnet (hood in US parlance) at issues being raised, and not just slag people off because they do not know of them. "Read round the subject", as Geoffrey Perry of Kettering Group fame would often say.

73 from a wet and windy UK - Max M0VNG

Brad Smith

BRAD KC9UQR >> In order to bring confidence back to the membership of AMSAT, after the accusations that have been made, these questions have to be asked and answered, in my humble opinion.

BRAD>> Was 18k spent to black (sic) Patrick and Michelle from winning the election to the board?

You gotta be kidding. AMSAT-NA is playing with the ballot box?

BRAD>> If so, why and who authorized it and came up with the idea?

Moot ...

>>Who voted for the expenditure?

If in a 501(c)(3)'s budget - say, for legal fees - then it was voted upon a year or so ago.

Again - approved, budgeted items / categories do not necessarily have to be "approved by
a vote" every time they occur. UNLESS, of course, the expenditure exceeds what was
approved in the budget. THAT'S a legitimate question - and you can look up old minutes
to discover what the year's budget was.

>> How was the money spent?

Apparently AMSAT-NA believed they needed advice on matters. And they used approved,
budgeted funds to do so. Completely above-board (poor pun).

>> What is in place to stop this from happening again?

Well, since nothing "wrong" or "illegal" seems to have occurred, another moot question.

>> This money is comprised of donations from members and dues. It is to be spent on amateur radio in space, and not dirty politics.

Really? How do you know that a single penny of membership dues was involved? And there is absolutely no
proof of anyone involved is guilty of "dirty politics."

What is YOUR true beef with AMSAT-NA? Why not make a couple of phone calls and find out information first-hand?

Clint Bradford K6LCS

Clint Bradford

For the good of AMSAT, to ensure our enjoyment of future amateur satellites, and for the general good of amateur radio:

Thompson and Stoddard need to resign. Now.

Clint Bradford

See https://www.amsat.org/amsat-leadership-explains-2018-2020-legal-expenses/

Stefan Wagener

And I still definitely respect you.

Clint

I respectfully disagree!

73, Stefan VE4Sw

Randy Schulze

Perhaps a Petition of No Confidence against Thompson and Studdard by the AMSAT Membership needs to be established.

It's not binding, but does send a clear message.

Randy Schulze
KDØHKD
Kansas City, Missouri
Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S8. Samsung Galaxy S8.