Topics

A great phone app for handheld antennas!

David Spoelstra

I just wanted to alert everyone to a fantastic satellite app I used during Field Day. It's called "ISS Detector" and it's available for Android and IOS.
http://www.issdetector.com/

What makes it so great is that it has a "radar" mode that tracks the satellite in real-time across the sky. You tilt and turn your phone so that the ring is around the dot (the satellite), and now your phone is pointing directly at the satellite as it sweeps across the sky! It makes it absolutely effortless to keep your handheld antenna pointed at the satellite.

During Field Day we rubber-banded my phone to the Arrow antenna boom (I'm going to make a holder for next year) and even the most novice user was able to easily track the satellite across the sky. We made 59 QSOs with an Arrow antenna at Field Day!

There are also lots of other nice little features like it uses GPS and then shows you your grid square and it auto updates all the keps so you don't have to do a thing.

I highly recommend you download the free app and try it out. If you like it, all the amateur satellites can be purchased for $1 (I recommend splurging and paying $3 for everything - comets, planets, etc).

Disclaimer: I am in no way connected with this app. I am just a very happy user that thinks it will help other hams.

-David, N9KT

z_ kevino <z_kevino@...>

Most of the apps, for example GoSatWatch, have this feature.
-Kevin (KK4YEL)

-----
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.