Satellite Show in Georgia (US) 8/15/2020

Clint Bradford

Clint,

Please let me thank you (and Karen) for an AWESOME and entertaining presentation. You are one of those very positive examples of people in this hobby that makes it so great.

Your presentation was informative and very entertaining, and with the assistance of your wife Karen it was run error-free.

Our team would highly recommend this presentation to anyone exploring Amateur Radio Satellites.

Thanks – 73

Jerome Erickson – KK1JE
TeamRadioGA - Radio with Purpose!

GA Southeast District AuxComm/ARES
Net - Tuesday 1900 hours
-146.745 pl 97.4 / Guyton ARES repeater

Echolink 738635 / AllStar 45029

www.trga.us

Clint Bradford

Bill - not a dumb question at all!

There are a couple “private” upcoming sessions (like a Boy Schot troop and their parents).

OTHERWISE, I will usually state at the bottom, “send email for the link.”

Would LOVE to “see” you either 9/2, 9/14, and/or 10/27!

Clint

On Aug 17, 2020, at 7:39 AM, AF7ZA <billnjoano@...> wrote:

Thanks for your work Clint.
I have a dumb question, but can anyone join your Zoom presentations with appropriate login & PW ?

AF7ZA

Thanks for your work Clint.
I have a dumb question, but can anyone join your Zoom presentations with appropriate login & PW ?

Bill

On Aug 16, 2020, at 10:10 22PM, Clint Bradford via groups.io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

>> ... K6LCS will be presenting his "Working Amateur Satellites With Your HT” session at the Saturday, August 15, 2020 meeting of the Team Radio GA in southeast Georgia. The session will begin at 9AM Georgia time ...

Uh, yes - that was 6AM California time ... (g)

We had a great time. Including THREE licensed students in attendance. A GREAT Q&A afterwards.

Answers for the club ...

-Icom ID-5100 - Yes

-After a successful operating period of 3 ½ years, AMSAT OSCAR-21 (RS-14), unfortunately and suddenly, fell silent on 12 October 1994. For financial reasons, the command operation of the main satellite "INFORMATOR-1", which had completed its primary mission, was completely discontinued. On 16 September the command station had already switched off all on-board systems, including active temperature and attitude control. Only the operational supply for AO-21/RS-14 remained switched on. In addition, the command system of the mother satellite was permanently deactivated. Without constant intervention of the INFORMATOR-1 ground station the mother satellite got out of control relatively fast, so that finally the power supply failed. AO-21 was never heard again since then.

12/10/2018 - The receiver on the newly launched Fox-1Cliff/AO-95 CubeSat seems to have suffered a receiver failure that could render the satellite unusable, AMSAT said over the weekend. Efforts continue by AMSAT Engineering to establish the cause of the problem and determine if a fix is possible. AMSAT Vice President-Engineering Jerry Buxton, N0JY, reported over the weekend that the issue cropped up during efforts to commission Fox-1Cliff/AO-95.

“After a few days of tests, analysis, and discussion, it appears that Fox-1Cliff/AO-95 will not be commissioned as our fourth Fox-1 Amateur Radio satellite,” Buxton said. Commissioning began on December 4, right after the CubeSat’s successful launch a day earlier.

- The first D-STAR satellite QSO occurred between Michael, N3UC, FM-18 in Haymarket, Virginia and Robin, AA4RC, EM-73 in Atlanta, Georgia while working AMSAT's AO-27 microsatellite (Miniaturized satellite) in 2007. The two experienced minor difficulty with doppler shift during the QSO.

- It was the SPROUT microsatellite in 2014 - a project of Nihon University - that included CW telemetry, an FM digipeater, digitalker and message box, and live and preloaded SSTV pictures.

-The Icom ID-52 promises simultaneous reception in V/V, U/U, V/U as well as DV/DV.

THANK YOU to TR Georgia! More Z0om presentations coming on September 2, September 14, October 27 - and more!

Clint Bradford K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com

>> ... K6LCS will be presenting his "Working Amateur Satellites With Your HT” session at the Saturday, August 15, 2020 meeting of the Team Radio GA in southeast Georgia. The session will begin at 9AM Georgia time ...

Uh, yes - that was 6AM California time ... (g)

We had a great time. Including THREE licensed students in attendance. A GREAT Q&A afterwards.

Answers for the club ...

-Icom ID-5100 - Yes

-After a successful operating period of 3 ½ years, AMSAT OSCAR-21 (RS-14), unfortunately and suddenly, fell silent on 12 October 1994. For financial reasons, the command operation of the main satellite "INFORMATOR-1", which had completed its primary mission, was completely discontinued. On 16 September the command station had already switched off all on-board systems, including active temperature and attitude control. Only the operational supply for AO-21/RS-14 remained switched on. In addition, the command system of the mother satellite was permanently deactivated. Without constant intervention of the INFORMATOR-1 ground station the mother satellite got out of control relatively fast, so that finally the power supply failed. AO-21 was never heard again since then.

- 12/10/2018 - The receiver on the newly launched Fox-1Cliff/AO-95 CubeSat seems to have suffered a receiver failure that could render the satellite unusable, AMSAT said over the weekend. Efforts continue by AMSAT Engineering to establish the cause of the problem and determine if a fix is possible. AMSAT Vice President-Engineering Jerry Buxton, N0JY, reported over the weekend that the issue cropped up during efforts to commission Fox-1Cliff/AO-95.

“After a few days of tests, analysis, and discussion, it appears that Fox-1Cliff/AO-95 will not be commissioned as our fourth Fox-1 Amateur Radio satellite,” Buxton said. Commissioning began on December 4, right after the CubeSat’s successful launch a day earlier.

- The first D-STAR satellite QSO occurred between Michael, N3UC, FM-18 in Haymarket, Virginia and Robin, AA4RC, EM-73 in Atlanta, Georgia while working AMSAT's AO-27 microsatellite (Miniaturized satellite) in 2007. The two experienced minor difficulty with doppler shift during the QSO.

- It was the SPROUT microsatellite in 2014 - a project of Nihon University - that included CW telemetry, an FM digipeater, digitalker and message box, and live and preloaded SSTV pictures.

-The Icom ID-52 promises simultaneous reception in V/V, U/U, V/U as well as DV/DV. But, alas, is NOT full-duplex.

THANK YOU to TR Georgia! More Zoom presentations coming on September 2, September 14, October 27 - and more!

Clint Bradford K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com

Clint Bradford

ARRL instructor and AMSAT-NA Ambassador Clint Bradford, K6LCS,
will be presenting his "Working Amateur Satellites With Your HT”
session at the Saturday, August 15, 2020 meeting of the Team Radio
GA in southeast Georgia. The session will begin at 9AM Georgia time.

Team Radio GA (TRGA) is a growing ARES / EmComm group, whose
region covers the ARRL’s District 8 in Georgia. Led by Jerome Erickson
KK1JE, TRGA was featured in the July, 2020 issue of the ARRL Georgia
Section’s newsletter, “Georgia on My Mind.”

The groups Jerome has organized focus on digital and emergency
communications. Refreshingly, Jerome told the newsletter editor, “I
believe that the privilege to operate on the many frequencies we are
granted we should make an effort to give back to our communities
through radio communications.”

TRGA’s expanding Web site is … http://trga.us/

Clint K6LCS has made it his mission in his amateur radio life to show
hams that they really can work a few FM voice satellites with equipment
they probably already own. To that end, he has given his presentation
more than 100 times to audiences who genuinely desire to expand their
ham experience - to clubs, conventions, and hamfests in North America
and Canada.

An attendee of Clint’s session at the club a couple years ago wrote:

"K6LCS gave a fantastic presentation on amateur satellites.
It was most informative and entertaining. Clint's passion
for the subject was evident, and I would imagine that the
club members individually and or in a group will be eager
to try satellite contacts in the near future.

“We will be using Zoom Video Communications to conduct our session,”
Clint advises. “I would much rather be in a room, LIVE, with my audience,
but it’s cheaper with Zoom than air fare to Savannah's International Airport … “

Clint always welcomes questions before his presentations. Leave him a
voicemail at (909) 999-SATS or send email to: k6lcs@...

Clint’s satellite support site - www.work-sat.com

If you are in the southeast region of TRGA, you will be notified of the
session’s Zoom meeting ID on TRGA's Web site. If you are not in the
region and would like to
attend, please send email to k6lcs@...
for the meeting ID.

/end/