Topics

IC-9700 and the SATS

Jer W

I wanted to ask everyone on the board that owns the  IC-9700 about how do you like it and is it great for the SATS and doppler effect?
I understand it also has D-Star, but that mode is rather dead in my area so I could care less about it.  I would have liked to purchase the
Kenwood 2000, but it is not in production anymore and I do not want to get a used one.
Your input is welcomed.
Thanks,

Jerry...W8RQM

Brad Smith

Jerry, I work with a Kenwood TM-D710GA, which is full duplex and a lot cheaper than the 9700, is smaller and has a removable faceplate.  Brad KC9UQR

Jer W

Thanks Brad,
I'm going to check out the specs right now. I did not
know it was full duplex. All the better.

Jerry...W8RQM

On Wednesday, December 18, 2019, 7:27:37 PM EST, Brad Smith via Groups.Io <corlissbs@...> wrote:

Jerry, I work with a Kenwood TM-D710GA, which is full duplex and a lot cheaper than the 9700, is smaller and has a removable faceplate.  Brad KC9UQR

K6HR <paul.hamradio@...>

I just purchased a d710ga as well. What are you using for doppler tuning? And how are you connecting to the radio? I've been using a Flex but would like to try the Kenwood for sats also. I'm interested in the details of your setup for the tmd710ga!

Sent via my Samsung Galaxy, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

I wanted to ask everyone on the board that owns the  IC-9700 about how do you like it and is it great for the SATS and doppler effect?
I understand it also has D-Star, but that mode is rather dead in my area so I could care less about it.  I would have liked to purchase the
Kenwood 2000, but it is not in production anymore and I do not want to get a used one.
Your input is welcomed.
Thanks,

Jerry...W8RQM

Brad Smith

Paul, I manually Doppler tune the TM-D710GA. I work portable with this radio, from my van, with two differently polarized antennas that I place on the van roof, and an A-B switch to switch between the two. I do love the radio.

Jer W

Brad,
Did you build the antennas on your van or purchased?
If so, what manufacturer?

Jerry...W8RQM

On Thursday, December 19, 2019, 10:18:00 AM EST, Brad Smith via Groups.Io <corlissbs@...> wrote:

Paul, I manually Doppler tune the TM-D710GA. I work portable with this radio, from my van, with two differently polarized antennas that I place on the van roof, and an A-B switch to switch between the two. I do love the radio.

Brad Smith

Hi Jerry. I set a Comet CA-2x4SR NMO in the center of the roof and a COMPAC 136-174MHz/400-480Mhz at the rear corner of the roof. Being elliptically polarized, this antenna has to be on a corner to work properly. I have tried many antenna combinations, including eggbeater types and I like this combination the best. Between the properties of each, I get a good signal. Perfect? No, but simple to rove and power to get into the crowded birds.  KC9UQR

In a message dated 12/19/2019 9:25:43 AM Central Standard Time, jplanner@... writes:

Brad,
Did you build the antennas on your van or purchased?
If so, what manufacturer?

Jerry...W8RQM

On Thursday, December 19, 2019, 10:18:00 AM EST, Brad Smith via Groups.Io <corlissbs@...> wrote:

Paul, I manually Doppler tune the TM-D710GA. I work portable with this radio, from my van, with two differently polarized antennas that I place on the van roof, and an A-B switch to switch between the two. I do love the radio.

Jer W

Brad,
WOW!. Thats great. Hardly any money spent on those antennas and you have been quite
successful working the birds. I will get back with you after the holidays for additional info.
   By the way, I forgot to mention that I have a new Yaesu FTM-400XDR.I'm sure I could
use it for the SATS along with my Kenwood TH-D72A.

Jerry...W8RQM

On Thursday, December 19, 2019, 10:44:40 AM EST, Brad Smith via Groups.Io <corlissbs@...> wrote:

[...]

Siegfried Jackstien

how the hell can a STRAIGHT stacked vertical ... be elliptical poarized??

or is it interaction of the "corner of the roof" producing it??

in my view that stacked verical is nothing special but a vertical stacked antenna ... should produce a vertical polarized signal towards horizon (to reach far away repeaters) ... and only a low signal towards the sky

shoud not a quarterwave whip work better for sats??

or what about a 3/4 wave (with some high angle radiation) ??? should that not work better for sats??

greetz sigi dg9bfc

ps any links to the compac antenna?? did not find it

Am 19.12.2019 um 15:44 schrieb Brad Smith via Groups.Io:

[...]

When I spoke with Dr. Nilsson, who is the inventor of the antenna, I questioned him about if any of his antennas could be used for satellite use. I am always looking for satellite antennas. He assured me that it would work better than any vertical and I became the test subject. I bought the antenna from HRO, with the thought of returning it the next week. But it does work better than a vertical. I have used a 1/4 wave and got into SO-50, with an HT. I have several 1/2 and 5/8 wave antennas. I have tried many, including an eggbeater. Dr. Nilsson explained the elliptical polarization, and although I was skeptical, the fact that HRO is in Milwaukee and I can return it easily made me decide to try this tiny can antenna. Dr. Nilesson said that it has to be on the corner of the vehicle, not in the center.

I am very impressed by the antenna. The Comet that I use also has special properties that make it very suited for satellite use. But it is vertically polarized. I use both antennas because I do find that if I notice fading on one antenna, switching sometimes removes the fading. Also, with the doughnut hole above the vertical, the cantenna is better suited for high elevations because there is no doughnut hole.

Here is the web site for Compactenna. compactenna.com There is a lot of info there, including videos by Dr. Nilesson that are informing. The proof is when you get out into the field and make a contact and I am doing that every day. If anyone finds a better and more simple setup, pleas tell us about it on this message board. So far, this is the best that I have found. I do use my Kenwood 710 for a radio.

This setup works well for AO-91 and 92. I have had limited success with SO-50, even with a preamp. But I am experimenting with SO-50. Right now, nothing beats my Arrow and HT for SO-50. Brad KC9UQR

Brad Smith

I gave the wrong model number for the COMPACTENNA. The proper identification Model  2M/220/440    Tri-Band
Brad KC9UQR

Greg Lane

Brad,

Can you provide some details about your antennas? I have some success with the vertically polarized mobile whip and the 710GA. What other antenna do you use on your vehicle?

Greg N4KGL

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019, 9:17 AM Brad Smith via Groups.Io <corlissbs=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Paul, I manually Doppler tune the TM-D710GA. I work portable with this radio, from my van, with two differently polarized antennas that I place on the van roof, and an A-B switch to switch between the two. I do love the radio.

Brad Smith

I use two antennas, both differently polarized, on the roof of my vehicle. The Comet CA-2x4SR NMO is vertically polarized and has properties that suit satellite work. This antenna is placed in the center of the roof. http://www.cometantenna.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/CA-2x4SR1.pdf

The COMPACTENNA is elliptically polarized and a very good satellite antenna. It must be placed on the corner of the vehicle. It is their 2 meter/440 model. https://compactenna.com/products/  On this site, there are explanations and videos that explain this antenna.

I use a AB switch to switch between the two antennas, depending on which one is performing the best at the moment. The COMPACTENNA is also very good at working directly overhead. Being omni-directional, there is no “doughnut hole”.

KC9UQR

In a message dated 12/19/2019 7:22:12 PM Central Standard Time, LaneKG@... writes:

Brad,

Can you provide some details about your antennas? I have some success with the vertically polarized mobile whip and the 710GA. What other antenna do you use on your vehicle?

Greg N4KGL

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019, 9:17 AM Brad Smith via Groups.Io <corlissbs=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Paul, I manually Doppler tune the TM-D710GA. I work portable with this radio, from my van, with two differently polarized antennas that I place on the van roof, and an A-B switch to switch between the two. I do love the radio.

Jer W

Brad,
   I have both the Kenwood TH-D72A  HT and Yeasu FTM-400XDR. Any thoughts on using the HT for the up link and the Yeasu for the down link?

Jerry...W8RQM

On Monday, December 23, 2019, 6:45:59 PM EST, Brad Smith via Groups.Io <corlissbs@...> wrote:

[...]

That would work, but the 72A is full duplex. I record right from my 72A. I try to keep things simple.

73 Brad KC9UQR

In a message dated 12/23/2019 7:51:15 PM Central Standard Time, jplanner@... writes:

[...]

I thought that with already having two 2M/70cm rigs, I certainly do not need a third one.
Hopefully we can make a contact on the birds after the first of the year.

Jerry...W8RQM