Topics

Another ISS SSTV Project?

Clint Bradford

Possible ARISS SSTV operation before year's end

ARISS reports the possibility of a worldwide commemorative SSTV operation from the International Space Station on Friday, Dec. 27 or Saturday, Dec. 28 and following days.

The SSTV downlink frequency is 145.800 MHz. ARISS will provide more information as it becomes available. Watch the amsat-bb and follow @ARISS_status on Twitter for updates.

An SSTV system is an integral part of one of the ARISS ham radio stations, NA1SS/ RS0ISS in the Service Module. It transmits and receives JPEG still images. This system utilizes the Kenwood D700 and D710 radios and the ARISS antennas mounted on the Service Module.
The SSTV equipment also includes SpaceCam and MMSSTV software, a radio/computer interface module and data cables. A Kenwood VC-H1 is also used to provide near real-time automatically transmitted images once every 3 minutes, when active.

A Kenwood D710 radio located in the Service Module was deployed by the Russian Space Agency, Energia to provide extended support of imaging experiments using various SSTV formats. It employs SpaceCam and MMSSTV software to transmit stored images.

The current Expedition 61 crew aboard the ISS includes Dr. Andrew “Drew” Morgan, KI5AAA, an emergency physician in the U.S. Army; veteran pilot Cosmonaut Alexander Skvortsov, RK6ATR; Luca Parmitano, KF5KDP, an Italian Air Force officer, pilot, and engineer; pilot Cosmonaut Oleg Skripochka; biologist Dr. Jessica Meir; and electrical engineer Christina Koch.

-ARISS, AMSAT, ARRL

Randal Rutkowski

What is the min equip I need to receive SSTV from ISS?  I always listen on a pass but have never had a voice contact since I don’t know their schedule.
Thanks
Randy
KM6RBG

On Dec 16, 2019, at 11:10 AM, Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

[...]

An HT and a smartphone gets the job done!

http://www.work-sat.com/SSTV.html

Clint Bradford

That is for SSTV reception. Very few opportunities that past couple of years for 2m FM voice contacts. Watch ARISS and ARRL for possible projects.

Jer W

Clint,
Is there an APP for the Android phone to view the SSTV? Is the HT suppose to be connected to the smart phone and if so, how?

Jerry

On Monday, December 16, 2019, 2:51:43 PM EST, Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

An HT and a smartphone gets the job done!

http://www.work-sat.com/SSTV.html

Clint Bradford

Jer W

Hi Clint,
I down loaded the Robut36, but then it asked me to allow Robut36 to
access photos, media, and files on my devise. Do I really want to do that?
Why would it ask for things of privacy?

Jerry

On Monday, December 16, 2019, 4:54:01 PM EST, Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

All that is needed is an HT capable of receiving 2 meters and a rubber duck antenna. Then you need an interface to decode the signal. Some people do this on a computer and others do this on their cell phone, with an app. I use SSTV app on my iPhone. I’m sure Android has an equal app.

Of course, if you have a better 2 meter antenna, your image will be better. Try it. It is fun.

73 Brad KC9UQR

Sent from Brad’s iPad

Jer W

Hi Brad,
Have not talked with you in a while. I need to contact someone who may have the Kenwood TH-D72A to walk me through the process of setting up the HT for the SATS.
Having some difficulty and need someone that has the same model so we can discuss via e-mail or phone call.

Thanks,

Jerry...W8RQM

On Monday, December 16, 2019, 6:25:45 PM EST, Brad Smith via Groups.Io <corlissbs@...> wrote:

All that is needed is an HT capable of receiving 2 meters and a rubber duck antenna. Then you need an interface to decode the signal. Some people do this on a computer and others do this on their cell phone, with an app. I use SSTV app on my iPhone. I’m sure Android has an equal app.

Of course, if you have a better 2 meter antenna, your image will be better. Try it. It is fun.

73 Brad KC9UQR

Sent from Brad’s iPad

Summarizing for the Kenwood TH-D72a ...

-Use VFO B for TX
-VFO A for RX (it has better sensitivity)
-balanced audio all the way to VFO A
-open squelch for VFO A
-5W transmit
-DUPlex On

The frequencies at work-sat.com are there for you ... You can simply be in VFO mode for both A and B.

Jer W

Edited

Thanks Clint,

I am going to try it tonight for AO91 when it is in my area at 23:23 to 23:35 EST local time.
Thanks again for all your help and quick response.  That is why this hobby is the greatest with
hams helping other hams. I appreciate it.

Jerry...W8RQM

On Monday, December 16, 2019, 7:48:33 PM EST, Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

Summarizing ...

-Use VFO B for TX
-VFO A for RX (it has better sensitivity)
-balanced audio all the way to VFO A
-open squelch for VFO A
-5W transmit
-DUPlex On

Clint Bradford

Which antenna(s) are you going to use?

Jer W

Edited

Tonight I can only use the 19" whip. My home brew 2M, 8' boom, 7-element is in the garage and will not be able to set it up tonight.
I have a few adjustments to make on it and its already dark and getting colder tonight. I'm going to pull it down from the storage tomorrow
and set it up permanently. I was impressed with the results of using it when the ISS came over and contacted one of the local high schools.

Jerry...W8RQM

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 05:01 PM, Jer W wrote:
Tonight I can only use the 19" whip.
If about 15 degrees or more elevation, you WILL hear '91 - open up your Squelch!

Jer W

Thanks, I have the HT all set to go for later tonight. Once I get the station going full bore, I am going to try an contact Brad, KC9UQR
who lives on the other side of Lake Michigan (Unsalted) from me.

Jerry...W8RQM

On Monday, December 16, 2019, 8:03:56 PM EST, Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford@...> wrote:

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 05:01 PM, Jer W wrote:
Tonight I can only use the 19" whip.
If about 15 degrees or more elevation, you WILL hear '91 - open up your Squelch!

Brad Smith

Hi Jerry:

I love my 72A. If you have RT Systems software, email me and I will send you the file that you can import into your software and download it into the radio. Brad KC9UQR

Sent from Brad’s iPad_._,_._,_

Jer W

Thanks Brad,
Great to hear from you again. I have been off the air for a while due to my daughter-in-law had a baby boy on October 10th and we have been spending a lot of time at my son's house.
I think you know the routine. LOL

I'll get back with you sometime this week. Tonight at around 23:23 to 23:35 my time EST, I'm going to try to at least copy the AO91 pass but it looks like it will be in the Atlantic Ocean east of N.Y.
Can't wait to get back in the flow of ham radio. I have a lot to learn and catch up with all the new modes.

Jerry...W8RQM

On Monday, December 16, 2019, 10:19:57 PM EST, Brad Smith via Groups.Io <corlissbs@...> wrote:

Hi Jerry:

I love my 72A. If you have RT Systems software, email me and I will send you the file that you can import into your software and download it into the radio. Brad KC9UQR

Sent from Brad’s iPad

Jer W

Hi Bread,
How are things with you? Yes, I would appreciate it if you could send that file, but I will not be able to use it until some time in January because my PC computer
crashed and i have to either build or purchase another one from Micro Center which is about 30 miles north east from me. I'm using my Apple computer for e-mail.

Jerry...W8RQM

On Monday, December 16, 2019, 10:19:57 PM EST, Brad Smith via Groups.Io <corlissbs@...> wrote:

Hi Jerry:

I love my 72A. If you have RT Systems software, email me and I will send you the file that you can import into your software and download it into the radio. Brad KC9UQR

Sent from Brad’s iPad

Jey,

There is a very simply reason it asks to access photos and files on your device, it uses that permission to save the received SSTV images to your images folder. However, if you don't want to allow it, or want to be able to try different settings for an improved capture, just record the audio with any audio recorder. You can play the audio back and have Robot36 decode it or use MMSSTV or other SSTV app on a computer to decode the signal.