From: Sherrie
To: Work-Sat@...
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 5:36 PM
Subject: [Work-Sat] Need Elmer Help

I would like some help in the correct usage of the Arrow 2 antenna. For a lower orbit pass, do you point the end of the antenna at the satellite or do you point the elements toward the satellite? If you point the receive elements toward the satellite, the transmit elements would not be aimed properly???? It seems simple when the bird is at 85 degrees or so, the bird is so clear, but the lower elevations (50 degrees or so) are not so easy, even with a preamp. Thanks for the help.

Brad KC9UQR

top_gun_canada

--- In Work-Sat@yahoogroups.com, "Sherrie" <corlissbs@...> wrote:

I would like some help in the correct usage of the Arrow 2 antenna. For a lower orbit pass, do you point the end of the antenna at the satellite or do you point the elements toward the satellite? If you point the receive elements toward the satellite, the transmit elements would not be aimed properly???? It seems simple when the bird is at 85 degrees or so, the bird is so clear, but the lower elevations (50 degrees or so) are not so easy, even with a preamp. Thanks for the help.

Brad KC9UQR
Always point the end of the boom towards the satellite so that both sets of elements are perpendicular to the signal path.

However, it will likely be necessary to rotate the antenna about the axis of the boom to allow for changes in the signal polarity. This can be a bit tricky at times, particularly during low-elevation passes.

A full-duplex radio is particularly useful for this.

73s

Bernhard VA6BMJ @ DO33FL

Brad Smith

Thank you, guys.  I am doing it correctly.  I work SO-50 because it is the only bird that I know how to work.  I am thinking that my reception problems are because of RFI near my QTH.  I would like to learn the linear birds, but with no Elmer, it becomes difficult.  I have a Yaesu 857D and I guess that I would need another 857 or a 2000 radio as a stand alone.  Since I want to work portable, with my Arrow antenna, I need something that I am able to move around easily.  Someone's web site states that they use two 857 radios.  It is time that I branch out to other birds.

I do have a vertical 10-40 M. antenna at my QTH, but I do not know if that would be of use in working linear birds.  Any help or suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

Brad KC9UQR

Brad:  Use the Arrow antenna like a pointer, point it toward where you think the Sat should be. Sometimes it helps to twist  your wrist and rotate the arrows in a circle  as the Sat may be tumbling some and it will make it clearer.  There are several vidio's on You tube that you can watch which may help.  I have never used a preamp with the Arrow Antenna and can hear them fine.

Forrest
KC9JFX

top_gun_canada

--- In Work-Sat@yahoogroups.com, corlissbs@... wrote:

Thank you, guys. I am doing it correctly. I work SO-50 because it is the
only bird that I know how to work. I am thinking that my reception
problems are because of RFI near my QTH.
RFI can be a problem. For about 2 years, I couldn't work AO-27 from my balcony because of something that was putting out noise on almost the exact frequency of the bird's downlink. I eventually determined that the noise source might have been a cell phone repeater that had been put on the roof of a nearby high-rise apartment building in our complex.

Right now, I've got a problem with noise on 2 m SSB. I suspect it's the reason I'm having difficulties working the linear birds from my balcony this year. The noise source seems to be located in one of the neighbouring apartments.

I could move my station down to my car in parking stall because there's less noise from that source there. However, moving all my gear back and forth can be a bit of a chore.

I would like to learn the linear birds,
but with no Elmer, it becomes difficult. I have a Yaesu 857D and I guess
that I would need another 857 or a 2000 radio as a stand alone. Since I
want to work portable, with my Arrow antenna, I need something that I am able
to move around easily. Someone's web site states that they use two 857
radios. It is time that I branch out to other birds.

I do have a vertical 10-40 M. antenna at my QTH, but I do not know if that
would be of use in working linear birds. Any help or suggestions, would be
greatly appreciated.
Maybe you could use it for working AO-7 in Mode A just after it comes up over the horizon.

73s

Bernhard VA6BMJ @ DO33FL

<snip>