Topics

Got Ham License Plates? READ THIS!

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

If you are a ham with personalized license plates (probably in ANY state of the US, but
particularly in CA), then you might want to check this Web page out ...

And if you just find me otherwise irritating, you'll love to see seven police units respond
to my traffic stop today ... (grin)

http://tinyurl.com/CLINT-BUSTED

Clint Bradford, K6LCS

cap_cstorey <cap_cstorey@...>

As a ham with ham plates and a public safety dispatcher who knows how to run plates and read the DMV returns, that's too funny! But a valid point nevertheless..... you'd be surprised how many people DON'T know their own license plates. Of course for us hams that shouldn't be a problem. A law enforcement friend of mine had a license plate frame that read "RUN IT AS A HAM PLATE."

Lee

One time I heard them run my ham plate here in Wisconsin.  The dispatcher said the federal database was down so we must not be in our own states database but in a federal one.  I never got pulled over so I never found out why they ran my plate.

We also have a local city code about using Cell Phones while driving.  There are exceptions.  CB operators are exempt and Ham operators are exempt only if we have Ham Plates.  So according to the city we are less than a CBer.

(a) "Mobile Telephone" includes, but shall not be limited to, cellular, analog, wireless and digital telephones. Mobile Telephone shall not include HAM radios operated by licensed individuals with the "Amateur Radio Plate" and CB radios.

As a ham with ham plates and a public safety dispatcher who knows how to run plates and read the DMV returns, that's too funny! But a valid point nevertheless..... you'd be surprised how many people DON'T know their own license plates. Of course for us hams that shouldn't be a problem. A law enforcement friend of mine had a license plate frame that read "RUN IT AS A HAM PLATE."

Randy Schulze

Unless the plate is K6LCS.

The dispatcher would come back with: "10-35 California K6LCS!  Use Caution!  Excessive Force is Authorized!"

;-)

Randy - KD0HKD

On 06/28/11, kd0hkd_randy wrote:

When a plate (any plate) is run, it should come back in at least three parts: A) Registration from the State Database, B) Response for Stolen or Wanted from the State Database, and C) Response for Stolen or Wanted from the Federal (NCIC) database.  Some jurisdictions also have county and city databases as well.

If everything responds, the dispatcher may say something like:  (Add ten-code where appropriate.)

"No wants, Missouri Passenger UB4A9R on a Red 2005 Ford Escort to Joe Blow, 12345 West 95th Street, Kansas City, Missouri, January 2013."

If one of the databases fails, the dispatcher may say:

"No wants, State, No response NIC for Missouri Passenger UB4A9R on a Red 2005 Ford Escort to Joe Blow, 12345 West 95th Street, Kansas City, Missouri, January 2013."

  - or -

"No wants, Missouri Passenger UB4A9R.  No response registration."

  - or -

"No wants, Missouri Passenger UB4A9R.  Registration not found."

The Feds only maintain registration data for Federal Vehicles.  The reason is cost.  Data is space which equals expense.  They don't want to pay for the space if the States can take care of it.

Of course, if it's wanted, you'll hear something like 10-35 or NCIC HIT with the details!

Randy Schulze - KD0HKD
Former Emergency Communications Operator and Supervisor
Former Law Enforcemenbt Officer

--

Randy Schulze
KDØHKD

Bernie Roche

Dear Clint:

You were REALLY lucky!

Just imagine what would have happened if you had been in a shopping mall parking lot, with a Sat antenna and radios pointed skyward!

You probably be in a deep dark cell and unable to create your very entertaining web page!

Thanks for making our day with that great photo.

And by the way, did you have to buy them all donuts when it was all over?

Best Wishes,

Bernie Roche
VE3OTR
Emergency Coordinator
York Region EmComm
(416) 519-3989 res
(416) 435-0423 cell

Communicare, Resolvere, Perficere
We Communicate, We Complete, WE GET THINGS DONE

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 1:09 AM, K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...> wrote:

If you are a ham with personalized license plates (probably in ANY state of the US, but
particularly in CA), then you might want to check this Web page out ...

And if you just find me otherwise irritating, you'll love to see seven police units respond
to my traffic stop today ... (grin)

http://tinyurl.com/CLINT-BUSTED

Clint Bradford, K6LCS

Carl Davis

It's not just the cops that can't tell the type of plate. I recently went to Delaware DMV to renew the vehicle. I was asked one year or two. I said two please so I could save a trip next year. The clerk said that will be $160. I think I had the WTF look on my face. She said it's a vanity tag. No maam it's an amateur tag and should come up that way. Oh I didn't even check, I just figured it was a vanity tag. I finally got the correct rate and then paid the two years...

Carl,KB1EJH

--- In Work-Sat@..., "Lee" wrote:

> One time I heard them run my ham plate here in Wisconsin. The dispatcher
> said the federal database was down so we must not be in our own states
> database but in a federal one. I never got pulled over so I never found out
> why they ran my plate.
>

> We also have a local city code about using Cell Phones while driving. There
> are exceptions. CB operators are exempt and Ham operators are exempt only
> if we have Ham Plates. So according to the city we are less than a CBer.
>

> (a) "Mobile Telephone" includes, but shall not be limited to, cellular,
> analog, wireless and digital telephones. Mobile Telephone shall not include
> HAM radios operated by licensed individuals with the "Amateur Radio Plate"
> and CB radios.

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

Thanks for the story ... This is not, though, a "case of the space."

DMV found me in three seconds with no "spaces" anywhere.

I have almost determined what "the system" is ... those with 20+ years on the force are being enlightened, too, as we delve into this. It's been an interesting week.

More later.

Clint

... Brings back memories for both my wife and I ...

Amir K9CHP

Aha! SPACE, that makes it rocket science, and you keep wondering why they stopped you! OK, cheap shot, I'm not anti-police, just have to make a joke when I see one coming.

========================

73 de K9CHP Amir Findling, Member ARRL, ARRL/ W5YI VE, WAC, WAS, DXCC

www.K9CHP.net Blog: http://k9chp.blogspot.com

Eagle Valley Search Dogs, Senior K9 Handler

K9 Certification Tester, NYS Federation of Search Teams

1st Special Response Group (1SRG)

On 6/30/2011 17:04, Jerry Darby wrote:

Clint.

Brings back memories for both my wife and I. It hasn't happened for about a year now but there was a time in the last several years that either my wife or I would get pulled over, not for any traffic violation but because they were not able to run the plates. My wife have her call on her car and I have my call on mine. We were stopped at least once a week for a long period of time. It got to be funny to us and we were ready to let the officer know how to run our Ham callsign vanity plates but we never had the expereince you had. They had no idea that you had to enter a space to get a valid plate such as N6 UME or N6 ZNC. Of course we were very cooperative with them as we knew why they were pulling us over so much and they showed the same cooperation when we asked them to run the plate again with the space in the correct position. They would come back from running the plate and say "Thank you. You may go". This was a Sheriff in each case. I guess word
finally got around and haven't been stopped in quite some time.

Jerry N6UME

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

Aha! SPACE, that makes it rocket science ...
My wife coined/transmogrified "It ain't rocket science" and "It ain't brain surgery" to ...

It isn't rocket surgery ...

I find a place in each of my presentations for that line ... AND I have to pay her royalties each and every time I do ...

(grin)

Clint