Topics

Amateur Radio Satellite Gadgets

Randy Schulze
 

Fellow Satellite Enthusiasts!

Many of you have been to my web site, and have seen the section I've made focusing on Amateur Satellite Radio.  Thanks for the Support!  One of my web pages on the site looks at "Amateur Radio Satellite Gadgets." (http://www.purplesage.biz/kd0hkd/satellite/gadget.htm

What I'm trying to do here is give a brief review or description of given items from the perspective of Pros and Cons.  When you go to the page, I think you'll get the picture.  So far, I've displayed Antennas, Rotators, and HT and Base Radios.

As much as I would like to, (as with many of us,) I don't have the resources or funds to try out every item or product that's out there in the world, but as a group of enthusiasts, I suspect we have a pretty broad base of hams who have tried all sorts of gadgets and products!  What I'm asking from you, is if you can e-mail me your views and opinions in the form of two or three bullet points of Pros and Cons about the gadget.  You might include, for instance:

- Make Model

- Pros
o Point 1
o Point 2
o Point 3

- Cons
o Point 1
o Point 2
o Point 3

- Site Address of where you obtained the gadget.

- A brief two or three sentence comment about the gadget.

If published on my web site, I would give you the by line for submitting the information.

As with anything else on my web site, I must reserve the right to choose what I publish on the web site, and reserve the right to edit the content.

So what gadget or item works for you?  Let's give this a shot, and hope it's not too much for me to handle.  If you have an item I can post, send your gadget information to kd0hkd@...

Have Fun!

Randy
KD0HKD

 

 

Joe Palmer <w8jxm@...>
 

Randy:
 
Thank you for your fine site and good efforts.
 
Best 73.
 
Joe
W8JXM


--- On Tue, 8/10/10, kd0hkd_randy wrote:

From: kd0hkd_randy
Subject: [Work-Sat] Amateur Radio Satellite Gadgets
To: Work-Sat@...
Date: Tuesday, August 10, 2010, 3:12 PM

 
Fellow Satellite Enthusiasts!
Many of you have been to my web site, and have seen the section I've made focusing on Amateur Satellite Radio.  Thanks for the Support!  One of my web pages on the site looks at "Amateur Radio Satellite Gadgets." (http://www.purplesa ge.biz/kd0hkd/ satellite/ gadget.htm
What I'm trying to do here is give a brief review or description of given items from the perspective of Pros and Cons.  When you go to the page, I think you'll get the picture.  So far, I've displayed Antennas, Rotators, and HT and Base Radios.
As much as I would like to, (as with many of us,) I don't have the resources or funds to try out every item or product that's out there in the world, but as a group of enthusiasts, I suspect we have a pretty broad base of hams who have tried all sorts of gadgets and products!  What I'm asking from you, is if you can e-mail me your views and opinions in the form of two or three bullet points of Pros and Cons about the gadget.  You might include, for instance:
- Make Model
- Pros
o Point 1
o Point 2
o Point 3
- Cons
o Point 1
o Point 2
o Point 3
- Site Address of where you obtained the gadget.
- A brief two or three sentence comment about the gadget.
If published on my web site, I would give you the by line for submitting the information.
As with anything else on my web site, I must reserve the right to choose what I publish on the web site, and reserve the right to edit the content.
So what gadget or item works for you?  Let's give this a shot, and hope it's not too much for me to handle.  If you have an item I can post, send your gadget information to kd0hkd@everestkc. net
Have Fun!
Randy
KD0HKD
 
 

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>
 

- Make Model - Smiley 270A HT Antenna

- Pros
o Point 1 - Outperforms Diamond SHR-320A
o Point 2 - Collapsible - short when you don't need the gain
o Point 3 - Spring in base protects your HT's antenna connector

- Cons
o Point 1 - But it only costs $20
- Site Address of where you obtained the gadget - http://www.htantennas.com - or HRO carries the SMA version
- A brief two or three sentence comment about the gadget.
With its spring base protecting your HT's antenna connector and its 5/8 and 1/4 wave performance, this is a great bargain in the amateur accessory world. Did I mention it sells for less than half of the Diamond SHR-320a?

Clint, K6LCS

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>
 

- Make Model
The Stephen Gulyas BNC-to-SMA Adapters

- Pros
o Point 1 - TRUE protection of your HT's antenna connector
o Point 2 - Not "one size fits all" - several models for different HTs
o Point 3 - The Yaesu CN-3 should be banned (g).

- Cons
o Point 1 - Only available from Stephen - no big store carries them, yet.
o Point 2 - Cost - but compare with a $100 bill to repair you HT's broken antenna center pin connector, and the cost is nothing

- Site Address of where you obtained the gadget.
http://tinyurl.com/bnc-adapters

- A brief two or three sentence comment about the gadget.
Hard rubber displaces the stress placed on your HT when attaching larger antennas or cabling. These fine adapters "mate" to a much larger surface area on your HT than the "all-metal" CN3-like adapters. Click on the link above for a .pdf file with pictures, model numbers, and ordering instructions.

Randy Schulze
 

That's a keeper. Thanks!

Randy
KD0HKD

On 08/12/10, K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...> wrote:

























- Make Model - Smiley 270A HT Antenna


- Pros

o Point 1 - Outperforms Diamond SHR-320A

o Point 2 - Collapsible - short when you don't need the gain

o Point 3 - Spring in base protects your HT's antenna connector


- Cons

o Point 1 - But it only costs $20

- Site Address of where you obtained the gadget - http://www.htantennas.com - or HRO carries the SMA version




- A brief two or three sentence comment about the gadget.




With its spring base protecting your HT's antenna connector and its 5/8 and 1/4 wave performance, this is a great bargain in the amateur accessory world. Did I mention it sells for less than half of the Diamond SHR-320a?





Clint, K6LCS


















































--
 
Randy Schulze
KD0HKD
Kansas City, Missouri
rschulze@...

Randy Schulze
 

That's another keeper!! Thanks, again!

Randy
KD0HKD

On 08/12/10, K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...> wrote:

























- Make Model




The Stephen Gulyas BNC-to-SMA Adapters





- Pros

o Point 1 - TRUE protection of your HT's antenna connector

o Point 2 - Not "one size fits all" - several models for different HTs

o Point 3 - The Yaesu CN-3 should be banned (g).


- Cons

o Point 1 - Only available from Stephen - no big store carries them, yet.

o Point 2 - Cost - but compare with a $100 bill to repair you HT's broken antenna center pin connector, and the cost is nothing




- Site Address of where you obtained the gadget.




http://tinyurl.com/bnc-adapters





- A brief two or three sentence comment about the gadget.




Hard rubber displaces the stress placed on your HT when attaching larger antennas or cabling. These fine adapters "mate" to a much larger surface area on your HT than the "all-metal" CN3-like adapters. Click on the link above for a .pdf file with pictures, model numbers, and ordering instructions.


















































--
 
Randy Schulze
KD0HKD
Kansas City, Missouri
rschulze@...

Randy Schulze
 

Clint,

Both of your Gadget Submissions have been added to the web site.

http://purplesage.biz/kd0hkd/satellite/gadget.htm  

Thanks for your support of this project!

Randy
KD0HKD


On 08/12/10, K6LCS wrote:

























- Make Model





The Stephen Gulyas BNC-to-SMA Adapters





- Pros


o Point 1 - TRUE protection of your HT's antenna connector


o Point 2 - Not "one size fits all" - several models for different HTs


o Point 3 - The Yaesu CN-3 should be banned (g).





- Cons


o Point 1 - Only available from Stephen - no big store carries them, yet.


o Point 2 - Cost - but compare with a $100 bill to repair you HT's broken antenna center pin connector, and the cost is nothing





- Site Address of where you obtained the gadget.





http://tinyurl.com/bnc-adapters





- A brief two or three sentence comment about the gadget.





Hard rubber displaces the stress placed on your HT when attaching larger antennas or cabling. These fine adapters "mate" to a much larger surface area on your HT than the "all-metal" CN3-like adapters. Click on the link above for a .pdf file with pictures, model numbers, and ordering instructions.



















































--
 
Randy Schulze
KD0HKD
Kansas City, Missouri
rschulze@...

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>
 

I really enjoy your site - GREAT work!

Down at the bottom of the gadgets page, you mention regular old compasses. Don't forget the "obvious" source for one: your local REI Coop or sporting goods store!

For folks, of course, who don't have an Android phone ... or iPhone ... or iPod touch ... or other smartphone that have compass utility programs (grin). But I still carry one with me to presentations ... I like the word, "azimuth."

Clint

Randy Schulze
 

While at a State Park in Missouri last spring, we had a heck of a time trying to figure out where North actually was.

One of the guys whipped out his touch phone with a compass application. It got us in the general ball park, but was in fact plus or minus ten degrees, as compared to the cracker jack quality compass one of the others guy pulled out of his glove box, which worked suprisingly well.

Thanks for the tip to add to the Gadgets Page! One of the sugestions we make in our presentation, is the Boy Scout's section of the sporting goods stores.

On 08/18/10, K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...> wrote:





I really enjoy your site - GREAT work!

Down at the bottom of the gadgets page, you mention regular old compasses. Don't forget
the "obvious" source for one: your local REI Coop or sporting goods store!

For folks, of course, who don't have an Android phone ... or iPhone ... or iPod touch ... or other smartphone that have compass utility programs (grin). But I still carry one with me to presentations ... I like the word, "azimuth."

Clint


















































--
 
Randy Schulze
KD0HKD
Kansas City, Missouri
rschulze@...

walscobry
 

Despite all the tech I have around me when playing radio outdoors I always have my SUUNTO Compass. They have a tag line: REPLACING LUCK. I believe them and it has never not worked due to dead batteries!

Bryan
KJ4QZJ

Randy Schulze
 

Do you have a URL or Web Site where one can obtain a SUUNTO Compass?
Randy
KD0HKD


On 08/19/10, walscobry wrote:


Despite all the tech I have around me when playing radio outdoors I always have my SUUNTO Compass. They have a tag line: REPLACING LUCK. I believe them and it has never not worked due to dead batteries!





Bryan


KJ4QZJ



















































--
 
Randy Schulze
KD0HKD
Kansas City, Missouri
rschulze@...

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>
 

Why, the SUUNTO Store at Amazon.com, of course!

http://tinyurl.com/2aavwhw

Clint+

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>
 

Amazon has the classis A-10 SUUNTO COmpass for less than ten bucks!

Clint

walscobry
 

I actually found this one at Target! of all places. But I don't think they sell them anymore, sad. But here is a link to the dealer finder at suunto.com:

http://www.suuntoservice.com/dealerlocator/

Bryan
KJ4QZJ

Randy Schulze
 


Outstanding!  I'll try to update the web site this weekend.

Thanks!

Randy
KD0HKD


On 08/20/10, walscobry wrote:




I actually found this one at Target! of all places. But I don't think they sell them anymore, sad. But here is a link to the dealer finder at suunto.com:

http://www.suuntoservice.com/dealerlocator/

Bryan
KJ4QZJ

































--
 
Randy Schulze
KD0HKD
Kansas City, Missouri
rschulze@...

Amir K9CHP
 

Well, quite a few brands of compasses now have their product made in China and since that switch, I've seen quite a few compass failures, not just by sitting on them, but just poor manufacturing. Not all, mind you, but enough for me to start looking for where the darn SUUNTO, SILVA or BRUNTON were made. I think it is very difficult to evade the Chinese made compasses, but you need to be aware that they too may fail and now at a greater rate than before.

The flatter the compass is, the more sensitive it is to being perfectly horizontal, the ones with a round dial tend to be more forgiving that the one with a needle.

Finally, remember that there is a magnet in the speaker of the radio and/or the speaker mike.  Holding the compass at an arm's length is generally good enough. Play/test your compass, so that when you take a reading, you know what the what the weaknesses of the compass are.

On clear nights, learn how to find the North star, best compass there is, way better made than the Chinese one, batteries won't dies either! :-)

 

 

========================

73 de K9CHP Amir Findling, Member ARRL, ARRL/ W5YI VE, WAC, WAS, DXCC

www.K9CHP.net Blog: http://k9chp.blogspot.com

Eagle Valley Search Dogs, Senior K9 Handler

K9 Certification Tester, NYS Federation of Search Teams

1st Special Response Group (1SRG)