tracking Ao-51 on heavens above questoin

Jimmy c <kc9pxz@...>

HI ,

well envery think is gone set up wise fished the dross boom for my tri poad kast night. All that leaft to go is track Ao-51 and pick a pass and try to see if i can hear then give it a try. I wanted to try heavens above for tracking. well I gi there make a acount so that my QTH is in there when I log in. its all good LOL

so I try to rack ao-51 I cnat find it on that site, what up maybe it because im new to that site.  I cant find Ao-51 on the web so so does somone have a link?

thanks
KC9PXZ
jimmy c
Norwalk WI

fejohnso

Jimmy:  When you go to Heaven-Above, log onto the site, then go down on the left hand side and click on the Radio Amateur Sats and you will get a listing for your site for All the Sats for about 6-10 days.   Go down to AO-51 and click on it. Go to All passes and ckick on that, you will have just the Ao-51 passes only.  Click on one of those, and it will show you the pass close up.  Hope this helps.

Forrest, KC9JFX

--- On Sun, 5/23/10, Jimmy c <kc9pxz@...> wrote:

Subject: [Work-Sat] tracking Ao-51 on heavens above questoin
To: amsat-bb@...
Cc: Work-Sat@...
Date: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 2:16 PM

HI ,

well envery think is gone set up wise fished the dross boom for my tri poad kast night. All that leaft to go is track Ao-51 and pick a pass and try to see if i can hear then give it a try. I wanted to try heavens above for tracking. well I gi there make a acount so that my QTH is in there when I log in. its all good LOL

so I try to rack ao-51 I cnat find it on that site, what up maybe it because im new to that site.  I cant find Ao-51 on the web so so does somone have a link?

thanks
KC9PXZ
jimmy c
Norwalk WI

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

I have been "with" Heavens Above for several years - nothing to worry about by registering: I have never received any spam that could be traced to them. You register just so that the system knows your lat-long when you check in!

AO-51 is named "AO-ECHO" in their lists (if I remember correctly).

Clint

Jimmy c <kc9pxz@...>

thnaks Clint, of the ones Ive tryed heavens Above seems to be the one i like the most. Plus I use Rador tool kit for real time radar and wacth wacthes and warning for Skywarn. the program already has a link to heaven above. So that kinda cool and makes things easy for me. I reg. with heavens above found A0-51 and am tracking. Cool last step. not just have to pick a good pass.

when heaven above tracks by you long & lat. are passes it s list aways in the footprint of the sat? So my QTH will be within the foot print of the dst if Heavens abocves list it as a pass right? I hop than makes sence. LOL also the min AZ I would want to try would be what like 30 degrees or somthing? I thought i read that somwere but dont remember were.

KC9PXZ
Jimmy
Norwalk WI

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2010 2:53 PM
Subject: [Work-Sat] Re: tracking Ao-51 on heavens above questoin

I have been "with" Heavens Above for several years - nothing to worry about by registering: I have never received any spam that could be traced to them. You register just so that the system knows your lat-long when you check in!

AO-51 is named "AO-ECHO" in their lists (if I remember correctly).

Clint

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 9.0.819 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2891 - Release Date: 05/23/10 01:26:00

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

I have found most software's "footprints" to be really conservative. I mean, we can work the FM says well "outside" that circle.

I am going to post the portion of my presentations where I "decipher" the numeroc data that the AMSAT site gives. Always good to have a second opinion ... And once you see how easy it really is to work with the AMSAT data, you will enjoy/like it more.

Clint

P.S. - With low power, start with 20 degree or better elevation passes. As you progress, you will work passes a little lower.

fejohnso

Clint:  For me, I have had better luck on the lower passes than the ones which go almost overhead.  May be the polorization coming into play.  Otherwise the info on Heavens Above has been very accurate for me.  Also the info on Iridium flares has been very accurate. Just my opinion.

Forrest, KC9JFX

--- On Sun, 5/23/10, K6LCS wrote:

To: Work-Sat@...
Date: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 4:36 PM

I have found most software's "footprints" to be really conservative. I mean, we can work the FM says well "outside" that circle.

I am going to post the portion of my presentations where I "decipher" the numeroc data that the AMSAT site gives. Always good to have a second opinion ... And once you see how easy it really is to work with the AMSAT data, you will enjoy/like it more.

Clint

P.S. - With low power, start with 20 degree or better elevation passes. As you progress, you will work passes a little lower.

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

... had better luck on the lower passes than the ones which go almost overhead ... maybe the polarization coming into play ...
I have yet to have to truly experience the phenomenon of "circular polarization" while working the FM sats with my Arrow Antenna.

On EVERY demo - and during every personal/private pass - I'll twist my Arrow 90 degrees. I won;t announce it to the group. I'll just do it. And there is NO discernible change in TX or RX signal by doing so.

Oh, I know the engineers here can SHOW me on paper that the phenomenon is there. But in real life - for ME - it just doesn't happen.

I had one audience member tell me he experiences it during loss of signal more htan at any other time during a pass. And I have to believe him. But please do not let this issue "make or break" any attempt to work an FM bird!

Clint

Brian Barney <brian77223@...>

I have experienced polarization effects when listening to some of the FM sats with a homemade yagi. This yagi doesn't have as many elements as the arrow. On passes where I could barely hear the voices through the static the polarization can make the difference between hearing them and not. Maybe my antenna is more picky with polarization than the arrow.

-Brian Barney

--- On Sun, 5/23/10, K6LCS <clintbrad4d@earthlink.net> wrote:

To: Work-Sat@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 6:50 PM
... had better luck on the
lower passes than the ones which go almost overhead ...
maybe the polarization coming into play ...

I have yet to have to truly experience the phenomenon of
"circular polarization" while working the FM sats with my
Arrow Antenna.

On EVERY demo - and during every personal/private pass -
I'll twist my Arrow 90 degrees. I won;t announce it to the
group. I'll just do it. And there is NO discernible change
in TX or RX signal by doing so.

Oh, I know the engineers here can SHOW me on paper that the
phenomenon is there. But in real life - for ME - it just
doesn't happen.

I had one audience member tell me he experiences it during
loss of signal more htan at any other time during a pass.
And I have to believe him. But please do not let this issue
"make or break" any attempt to work an FM bird!

Clint

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

Work-Sat-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

... On passes where I could barely hear the voices through the static the polarization can make the difference between hearing them and not ...
It might be that the Arrow has so much gain, that a 3db loss might not be all that apparent to me - I am not sure.

Clint