sat question

John Moncak

the easy sats ao27 so50 ao51 ho68 are they in the clark belt 300 miles up i know they have solar panels but i think thats for the computer and repeator power do they just orbit in free space without fuel or do they have kick motors to keep them in some type of sequence on track so they dont collied with one another not even sure if the clark belt is 300miles up trying to understand how they do it ok 73 ke3lb

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

... ao27 so50 ao51 ... or do they have kick motors ...
No manueuvering - they're just in their non-alterable orbits.

We had a minor scare last week - when A)-51 flew within a few thousand feet of Formosat2. But no collision. There WS a collision last year of two non-amatuer bids over the Ukraine (if I remember correctly). It just isn;'t a common occurrence!

Clint, K6LCS

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

Correcion - It was "Formosat 3D" that we almost "met" earlier this week.

Formosat 3D is part of a constellation of six remote sensing microsatellites that collect atmospheric data for weather prediction and for ionosphere, climate and gravity research. Both AO-51 and Formosat 3D orbit at an altitude of approximately 500 miles.

Clint