Made first satellite contact today

Brian Barney <brian77223@...>

Hello group, My name is Brian Barney. I am a student at Cal Poly Pomona, and Clint gave a satellite presentation for our amateur club last week. I downloaded pocketsat on my palm treo and today I noticed I had an 80 degree overhead pass with the SO-50 (the same satellite that Clint contacted during the presentation)
I waited till it was almost directly overhead and I could hear people clearly. I waited for a break in the conversation and threw out my call sign and location. The other hams said my signal was pretty scratchy but could understand some of it. I was just using a whip antenna. I was already in the process of making a dual band yagi, but I thought I'd try with my $20 whip and FT60.
Thank you Clint for giving the presentation for our school club, I had always wanted to work satellites, but didn't know I had the capability to.

-Brian Barney
KI6KCW

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

Way to go, Brian!

Which Yagi are you building?

I enjoyed your group ... I am getting ready to give the show at the AQMD office tonight at 6. We will try working AO-51 at 5:40pm to the West.

Clint
Sent from Clint's iPod touch

Brian Barney <brian77223@...>

I am planning on trying out the plan for the arrow clone half way down this page http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Antennas/Satellite/
I think I'll wait on getting a diplexer, so I'll use 2 seperate cables for 2m and 70cm. Plus I like to do a little RDF and I dont have a 2m yagi yet so it can serve a dual purpose.
I want to try and make it pretty lightweight so I am looking at hollow aluminum elements and a wooden boom.
If anybody has ideas or information on their own satellite antennas, I would love to take a look.
I also am reading up about packet radio and I'd like to try to send some messages to the ISS at some point.
73

-Brian Barney
KI6KCW

I enjoyed your group ... I am getting ready to give the
show at the AQMD office tonight at 6. We will try working
AO-51 at 5:40pm to the West.

Clint
Sent from Clint's iPod touch

    Work-Sat-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

dminnick80

Brian
Nice going on the first contact and using a FT60 too, I plan on using my Yaesu FT-60 also I am still trying to figure out how to do it, and how to compensate for doppler etc,, I just found out that the little FT60 can work satellites, amazing.
Ka8tqr / Dennis
73

--- In Work-Sat@yahoogroups.com, Brian Barney <brian77223@...> wrote:

[...]

Dennis - the programming for the FT-60R is in my tutorial on the support site! Just remember that you do not have to compensate for Doppler on the 2M side of things, because the effect is so less prevalent at that frequency.

And my mnemonic device to remember is: "Acquire - Above." You acquire the sat slightly above the downlink frequency. So, if the bird is transmitting 435.300, start listening at 435.310 and 435.305 - and you'll capture it sooner.

Clint
http://www.work.sat.com

dminnick80

Vy thanks for the reply and information.

I would like to know what thw asterisks the follow the VHF TX frequencies that you have listed in the tutorial for AO51 mean ?

>> ... I plan on using my Yaesu FT-60 also I am still trying to figure out how to do it, and how to compensate for doppler ...

Dennis - the programming for the FT-60R is in my tutorial on the support site! Just remember that you do not have to compensate for Doppler on the 2M side of things, because the effect is so less prevalent at that frequency.

And my mnemonic device to remember is: "Acquire - Above." You acquire the sat slightly above the downlink frequency. So, if the bird is transmitting 435.300, start listening at 435.310 and 435.305 - and you'll capture it sooner.

Clint
http://www.work.sat.com

dminnick80

Vy thanks for the reply and information.

I would like to know what thw asterisks the follow the VHF TX frequencies that you have listed in the tutorial for AO51 mean ?

Dennis

>> ... I plan on using my Yaesu FT-60 also I am still trying to figure out how to do it, and how to compensate for doppler ...

Dennis - the programming for the FT-60R is in my tutorial on the support site! Just remember that you do not have to compensate for Doppler on the 2M side of things, because the effect is so less prevalent at that frequency.

And my mnemonic device to remember is: "Acquire - Above." You acquire the sat slightly above the downlink frequency. So, if the bird is transmitting 435.300, start listening at 435.310 and 435.305 - and you'll capture it sooner.

Clint
http://www.work.sat.com

Clint Bradford <clintbrad4d@...>

Just a reminder to check the AO-51 Op Schedule - sometimes that frequency changes to another V/U pair!

Clint

On Mar 10, 2010, at 10:45 PM, Dennis Minnick wrote:

Vy thanks for the reply and information.

I would like to know what thw asterisks the follow the VHF TX frequencies that you have listed in the tutorial for AO51 mean ?

>> ... I plan on using my Yaesu FT-60 also I am still trying to figure out how to do it, and how to compensate for doppler ...

Dennis - the programming for the FT-60R is in my tutorial on the support site! Just remember that you do not have to compensate for Doppler on the 2M side of things, because the effect is so less prevalent at that frequency.

And my mnemonic device to remember is: "Acquire - Above." You acquire the sat slightly above the downlink frequency. So, if the bird is transmitting 435.300, start listening at 435.310 and 435.305 - and you'll capture it sooner.

Clint
http://www.work.sat.com

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
909-241-7666