AO-51 Question-o-matic

CatzMeow

Good Space-Oriented-Folks,
Had a clean pass of AO-51 as I was leaving work today, so I thought I'd give it a go (my timing has been not-so-good lately and I've been stuck with 6 am passes so I haven't made much of an effort in a while).

Had some trouble lining up the signal, and never quite came in clear, but I did hear some voices and could make out calls so I tossed mine out there....nothing.  Waited for someone to inhale and put it out there again, faster this time (I'll show you fast-talkers)...nothing again.

So I figured either the other kids on the box had gills and could talk and breathe in at the same time, or my PL was off.

Got home and dumped the FT60 into Commander and pulled up the details on Amsat.  Sure enough, my PL was old so I switched it all to 67.  Here are my questions:

I notice a different uplink for FM QRP (no PL), should I be using this with my FT-60 since it tops out at 5 Watts?

It has the same downlink?  Won't we just be stepping in with all of the high-powered kids and their cooler mega-watty toys?

The AMSat summary page  for AO-51 has a different d/l for QRP (435.15) but the Echo Project Page  showed QRP and regular on the same d/l.

That's it for now, I'm sure I'll have more as I start working through my other memories.

Thanks,
Ed
KJ6BGS

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

We haven't used a PL on AO-51 for about three years now. So, whatever site you saw "Use a PL for AO-51" on is not providing current info to you.

Stick with us ... (grin)

I notice a different uplink for FM QRP (no PL), should I be using this
with my FT-60 since it tops out at 5 Watts?
If you go to my site at ...

http://www.work-sat.com

... you can scroll to the bottom, and find a link to the AO-51 CONTROL OPERATOR page. THAT is the BEST-AVAILABLE information!

Here's what the CONTROL TEAM has for us ...

February 1 - February 7
--------------------
FM Repeater, V/U
Uplink: 145.920 Mhz FM
Downlink: 435.300 Mhz FM

FM Repeater, L/U (Subject to interuption for telemetry collection)
Uplink: 1268.700 Mhz FM
Downlink: 435.150 Mhz FM

February 8 - February 14
---------------------
FM Repeater, V/U
Uplink: 145.920 Mhz FM
Downlink: 435.300 Mhz FM

9k6 BBS and Telemetry
Uplink: 1268.700 Mhz FM
Downlink: 435.150 Mhz FM

Clint

CatzMeow

Clint,
Darn and blast. That means I was being heard (sort of), right? I mean, if I am using PL where it is not required then I still get through vs the other way around... Or am I mistaken?

I thought that was too easy of a reason. :|

Thanks,
Ed
KJ6BGS

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

Have you programmed your radio per the programming chart on the tutorial at ...

http://www.work-sat.com

The chart is for the primary V/U mode - which AO-51 is in now.

NO Doppler correction for the 2M uplink.

Having the CTCSS on TX won't hurt anything ... But the "larger picture" is that if a Web site is stating it's necessary, then they are not interested in offering current information. We might turn the CTCSS requirement back on - to eliminate some interference problems accessing AO-51. You'll read about any changes right here, or on my Web site.

Clint, K6LCS

CatzMeow

Clint,
I had originally copied that set up, but had not revisited it in some time. It matches now.

The PL information came from AmSat's page...

http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/echo/

Unless I'm misreading the information along the right side. I did not click on the schedule link, still learning...but just wanted you to know where I saw the PL info.

Thanks for all of your help,
Ed
KJ6BGS

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

The PL information came from AmSat's page...
Right at the top of that page is a link to the Control Operator's page ...

Trust me: The latest AO-51 info is available right here and at work-sat.com. Honest.

Clint Bradford
AMSAT area coordinator