Voice recorder / headset question

MichaelE <k4moa@...>

Good evening everyone and thanks for reading.

I have a rather odd question. I have read several satellite articles which suggest using some form of voice recorder to record contacts. But I have also read articles which suggest using a headset so that you can hear a bit better.

Well, I was curious if there is a way to do both? I currently have a VX7R with a external handheld microphone but I was thinking of adding something like the MFJ-288R, but was curious how I might be able to record contacts?

By the way - I picked up a Arrow II over Christmas and due to our cold snap and a pestering head-cold I am yet to put it together. I look forward to giving it a shot soon and making my first contact...

Thanks in advance,

Mike, K4MOA

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

I have a rather odd question ...
Not odd at all - this is a great question!

... voice recorder to record contacts ...
Great to keep a history of the contacts ... It's hard to hold an HT and a handheld Yagi and key the mic and write it all down with just two hands ... (grin)

... using a headset so that you can hear a bit better ...
Well, the FM birds are so easy to work (especially with your Arrow II!) that I really don't desire using my Heil headset while working them. But ...

... a way to do both? ... VX7R with a external handheld microphone ...
That's a perfect combination! A little shirt-pocket-sized recorder will do the trick. You pay more for them as the features get more extravagant, of course ...

- Just need taped conversations? Cheapest. Like a Sony M-470.

-Digital recording? A little more expensive. Olympus units are great. VN-6000 looks cool.

-Digital, with audio files that are easily transferred to your computer? Closer to $100, like an Olympus Olympus WS-500M. My Marantz PMD660 for interviews + Sennheiser mic was a little over $500.

-Wireless setup (I use one for my presentations and demos)? Can be second mortgage time. Audio Technica makes some great setups.

... I was thinking of adding something like the MFJ-288R, but was curious how I might be able to record contacts?

The MFJ-288R doesn't have an audio jack inline anywhere (as I remember - correct me if I am wrong). The Pryme SPM-4xx Series used to have an 3.5mm 2-conductor audio jack - so you would plug the tape recorder's input into it, and then use the tape recorder's earphone jack for hearing ...

Go inexpensive at first. You already have the speaker-mic and great gain with the Arrow antenna. Just borrow someone's cassette recorder (or find yours out in the garage) for testing. Look at how I have mounted my HT onto the book of my Arrow (go to PHOTOS at http://www.k6lcs.com ) - and you eliminate the need for so many hands.

And after transmitting, you can clip the mic to the setup. Hey - mount a little clipboard and pad, and you have your own portable Arrow Satellite Office!

Clint
909-2421-7666

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

I left out an entire phrase in my suggested solution: Use a little recorder "and its included microphone" and see if it works out for you.

Sorry if that was obvious ... (g)

Clint

walscobry

Hello,

I'm new to the group, ham radio and working SATs but I do have a suggestion here.

I use a creative ZEN Stone MP3 player to record with.

Mine is 2GB and can record for many hours and the MP3 files it creates need no conversion like some digital voice recorders do. Its tiny about 1x1.5 inches charges over usb, works like a thumb drive (just mounts up like a disk so you can store photos, log data and other files on it), has a FM radio and of course can play music. The 2nd generation ZEN Stones also have a speaker built in. I got mine at target on sale for less than $20. I think they are out of production (at least the earlier models) so look around for a good deal. Oh, yeah it has a stopwatch and a clock as well. Nice little toy.

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

I use a creative ZEN Stone MP3 player to record with.
Excellent suggestion - thanks!

Clint

MichaelE <k4moa@...>

Thanks for the advice guys. Somewhere in the house I have a Creative Zen Micro which has a built in microphone on it. I was hoping to have something with a line in so I could use a headset, but if I can find the Zen Micro I can give it a shot and see how things go.

Thanks again and 73's

Mike, K4MOA