Which BNC-to-SMA Adapter?

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

From my In Box ...

... I have a large antenna with BNC male connector that I did not use because I need to get a adapter for the bnc so it can fit on my SMA radio ...
Please consider either a NCG/Comet HB-05 BNC female to SMA male 18-inch jumper, or the Stephen Gulyas adapter. Either will protect your radio's SMA jack and center pin from stress.

The HB-05 is available from fine ham radio stores nation-wide. Info on the Gulyas adapters available at ...

http://www.work-sat.com

Clint

Andy

I have Stephen Gulyas's adapter, and think it's pretty good for
mounting a BNC whip on the radio. I much prefer it to the straight
metal-only adapters. Highly recommended.

On the other hand, I think it is slightly inconvenient for adapting a
stiff or fat cable to the radio that has a BNC on its end (or perhaps
a UHF plug on which you've attached a UHF-BNC adapter). For that
situation, I'd probably recommend one of the short pigtail atapter
cables. The short length helps isolate the fatter cable's stiffness
from the little SMA jack, and is easier to attach and remove.

Andy

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

Great points - thanks!

Clint

ed palmer <flhtci97@...>

I have found another SMA to BNC adapter that works well with the VX-8R. It is the BNCJ-SMAP adapter from Diamond Antenna. I don't know how it would work for other handhelds so your mileage may vary.

The adapter is wide at the base and mates up well with the rubber gasket around the SMA jack on the VX-8R. The last half turn will require one to hold on to the rubber gasket around the SMA when tightening down the adapter to keep the gasket from spinning.

73 Ed N0EHQ

>> ... I have a large antenna with BNC male connector that I did not use because I need to get a adapter for the bnc so it can fit on my SMA radio ...

Please consider either a NCG/Comet HB-05 BNC female to SMA male 18-inch jumper, or the Stephen Gulyas adapter. Either will protect your radio's SMA jack and center pin from stress.

The HB-05 is available from fine ham radio stores nation-wide. Info on the Gulyas adapters available at ...

http://www.work- sat.com

As long as the adapter "mates" well with the radio's case, it will provide some protection.

I like the design and finish of the Diamond you cited - here's a photo ...

http://rfparts.com/diamond/bncj-smap.html

I'll keep on using Stephen's adapters, 'cause I like the guy (grin). AND because he has done his research and has different adapters for different radios for us.

THANKS for the tip, Ed!

Clint