From: "k7cwq"
To: Work-Sat@...
Sent: Friday, November 6, 2009 6:37:22 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: [Work-Sat] success and maybe an arrow

finally had success with AO51 with my FT60 and a smiley 270A.
two qsl cards will be going out in the mail. still on the fence about getting an arrow.

w6zkh@...

Correct url for last picture:  http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu207/w6zkh/Vacation2009030.jpg

John

Loren......I use an Elk dual-band log periodic yagi with my FT-60R and works great.  Doesnt need that diplexer, like the Arrow,  but the price is just abit cheaper than the Arrow.  Also breaks down into a nice package, and I made an ABS tube for mine to carry it in.  Sort of an overkill, but at least it wont get crushed by an 18 wheeler.  I used the HT/Elk setup on a 3 week vacation last month to back into Georgia, and worked quite a bit of grids locations and also stations with good success.

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu207/w6zkh/Vacation2009033.jpg

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu207/w6zkh/Vacation2009034.jpg

http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu207/26zkh/Vacation2009030.jpg

John W6ZKH
DM06

finally had success with AO51 with my FT60 and a smiley 270A.
two qsl cards will be going out in the mail. still on the fence about getting an arrow.

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

... finally had success with AO51 with my FT60 and a smiley 270A ...
Outstanding news!

... still on the fence about getting an arrow ...
Well, if the cost is a factor, build a dual-band Yagi for twenty bucks or less - and see the difference such a directional antenna makes for you!

Plans all over the 'Net - as well as a couple URLs at ...

http://www.work-sat.com

... .I use an Elk dual-band log periodic yagi with my FT-60R and works great. Doesnt need that duplexer, like the Arrow, but the price is just abit cheaper than the Arrow ...
They're within fifteen bucks of each other now ...

I own both. I just feel the Arrow "captures" more solidly than the Elk - but you are correct: Both make working the FM birds breeze!

Clint