programming the ft-60r

Lewis <ve3kko@...>

Hi,
I am new to satellite tracking and i have questions.
I just purchased a new FT-60R and i "think" i have it programmed to work the AO-51 satellite.
Should the radio display change frequency as i go from tx to rx?
Thanks
Best regards
Lewis
ve3kko

Clint Bradford <clintbrad4d@...>

Do the "+" and "-" appear in the display when receiving?

I am not home ... I'll put one of my FT-60R units in FREQ mode, and see what it does later tonight!

Clint Bradford

----------------------------------
Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.clintbradford.com

ve3kko@...

Hi Clint,
yes they do.
When i key up, the display doesnt change.
Thanks
Lewis

Clint Bradford writes:

Do the "+" and "-" appear in the display when receiving? I am not home ... I'll put one of my FT-60R units in FREQ mode, and see what it does later tonight! Clint Bradford ----------------------------------
Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.clintbradford.com

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

Sorry for the delay in replying ... a simple, should-have-been two-hour brake job on my wife's car turned into an 8+ hour comedy of errors ...

OK - When I key my FT-60R's mic on my split freq channels in Freq Display mode, the display DOES change from showing the downlink 440 freq to the 2M uplink freq.

I believe this would be the same behavior on the European FT-60E.

Do you have a second HT or scanner that you can set up to receive - and check to see if your radio is behaving correctly?

Clint

ve3kko@...

Hi Clint,
Thank you for answering.
I know all to well about automotive delays, no problem.
You did answer my question though.
I tried again and i got it!
Funny, i thought that working the satellites involved ssb
rather than fm.

Thanks Clint.
73
Lewis
ve3kko

K6LCS writes:

Sorry for the delay in replying ... a simple, should-have-been two-hour brake job on my wife's car turned into an 8+ hour comedy of errors ... OK - When I key my FT-60R's mic on my split freq channels in Freq Display mode, the display DOES change from showing the downlink 440 freq to the 2M uplink freq. I believe this would be the same behavior on the European FT-60E. Do you have a second HT or scanner that you can set up to receive - and check to see if your radio is behaving correctly? Clint

ve3kko@...

Clint,
I forgot to mention that the first time i tried to program it,it did not change frequency, now it does.

Thanks
Lewis
ve3kko

K6LCS writes:

Sorry for the delay in replying ... a simple, should-have-been two-hour brake job on my wife's car turned into an 8+ hour comedy of errors ... OK - When I key my FT-60R's mic on my split freq channels in Freq Display mode, the display DOES change from showing the downlink 440 freq to the 2M uplink freq. I believe this would be the same behavior on the European FT-60E. Do you have a second HT or scanner that you can set up to receive - and check to see if your radio is behaving correctly? Clint

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

Funny, i thought that working the satellites involved ssb rather than fm.
You are correct - there are several amateur SSB / CW birds to work!

My "mantra" the past couple of years is to get folks who though it beyond their means interested in working the "easy satellites" - AO-51 and SO-50.

But you can look at this page ...

http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/satellites/status.php

... and see the status of the other operational amateur satellites!

... the first time i tried to program it,it did not change frequency, now it does ...
Hmmm ...

Just make sure ALL the channels operate properly (if you programmed per the suggested chart of two "steps" above and below the center frequency).

And there's NO CTCSS / PL on the TX of AO-51 ....

Clint

ve3kko@...

I reprogrammed it and now it seems to be working.
Thank you
Lewis
~~~~~~~~~

K6LCS writes:

... the first time i tried to program it,it did not change frequency, now it does ...
Hmmm ... Just make sure ALL the channels operate properly (if you programmed per the suggested chart of two "steps" above and below the center frequency). And there's NO CTCSS / PL on the TX of AO-51 .... Clint

ve3kko@...

I have been to that site and i have used the "save page as" many times:)
I have some reading to do now.
Thanks for the link and the help.
73
Lewis
ve3kko.

K6LCS writes:

Funny, i thought that working the satellites involved ssb rather than fm.
You are correct - there are several amateur SSB / CW birds to work! My "mantra" the past couple of years is to get folks who though it beyond their means interested in working the "easy satellites" - AO-51 and SO-50. But you can look at this page ... http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/satellites/status.php ... and see the status of the other operational amateur satellites! Clint