Topics

SOFTWARE for Satellite Tracking

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

There are several software programs available for tracking amateur satellites. What program(s) have YOU settled upon to use for working the birds?

Clint

John,K0QH <k0qh@...>

K6LCS wrote:
There are several software programs available for tracking amateur satellites. What program(s) have YOU settled upon to use for working the birds?
Clint
I use "Orbitron" mostly.
--
John,K0QH
aka AJ0W

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

I use "Orbitron" mostly.
Orbitron gets great reviews, indeed!

John - what are the top two or three features that you really like about Orbitron?

Clint

MichaelE <k4moa@...>

Hi Clint,

Thank you very much for starting this group. I have been using your "HT" document to get started with Satellites and begin my journey of education and fun. I do not have the experience to begin transmitting as I'm still figuring out how to use the AL-800 with my VX7R to achieve the best signal. I have listened several times on various satellites as they pass over, but no transmissions. My day is coming...

I have been tinkering with Satscape. I first like that it is multi-platform (Windows, Unix, etc). I also like the views that if offers - 2D and 3D views of earth. Finally, I like that I can customize what is on my maps -- I can have as many or as few as I want.

Again, thanks for starting this group and allowing people like me to have a forum to learn...

Thanks,

Mike, K4MOA

--- In Work-Sat@..., "K6LCS" <clintbrad4d@...> wrote:

There are several software programs available for tracking amateur satellites. What program(s) have YOU settled upon to use for working the birds?

THANKS for participating here!

... how to use the AL-800 with my VX7R ...
CAUTION! Please do NOT use the Yaesu CN-3 BNC-to-SMA all-metal adapter. It provides absolutely NO protection for your radio's SMA antenna connector.

That antenna is very heavy and places a lot of strain on your connector ... Look at the Stephen Gulyas adapters on my Web site at ...

http://www.work-sat.com

But please STILL try to support the antenna-HT as you use it ... cradle it carefully ...

... I have listened ... but no transmissions ...
Hey - I was at that same point a couple years ago. Go for it!

Clint

MichaelE <k4moa@...>

I actually purchased Stephen's adapter prior to getting the AL-800. You can tell that there is some support with the adapter, but like you said - still need to be careful. I must admit it is still sort of an odd feeling the way you need to hold the radio and antenna in the same hand then try to move around to find the best signal. I'm enjoying the challenge -

Thank you again for all of your work and advice -