Which SMA/BNC connectors do people use now for Kenwood TH-D72?

John St. John

Hi There,
I have a Kenwood TH-D72, and an Arrow II antenna. I’m trying my luck with the SMA-BNC connector that is sold along with the signal stick antenna, which looks like the diamond adapter minus the rubber sleeve on the outside of the bottom portion, and it’s $4 so not a huge risk if it doesn’t turn out to be wide enough. Assuming that doesn’t work out, what do people use nowadays? I saw an old post on this from 2010 that mentions "Stephen's Model # BGA-76 will fit your Kenwood TH-D72A radio perfectly”. But I’m not sure how/if you can still get those easily, or if people are using different ones now?

The other question I have is around connectors that have a rotating hinge. When I bought my arrow antenna, and purchased their $7 BNC/SMA adapter alongside it. Their adapter is super narrow at the base, and seems to transfer a lot of the side-to-side strain from the cable to the SMA plug, which I don’t like. One feature that was nice about it though is that it has a rotating hinge so it’s easy to rotate the radio as I’m flailing around with the antenna looking for a signal (I’m pretty new at this :). I noticed that the rotating hinge was getting some pretty heavy use. To get at something similar I found a BNC Female to BNC Male adapter on amazon that has a rotating hinge in it, which I was planning on attaching to the arrow and leaving there, since it seems like the Gulyas and similar adapters do not have this rotating property.

Thanks for your tips!

Best,
John