Re: Operating tips

David Spoelstra

Arup-
One thing about your recording. Mine always has constant background hiss because my squelch is wide open. When you are working the sats, you should have your squelch wide open.
-David, N9KT

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 7:49 PM Arup <Arup.Mallik@...> wrote:
Hi All,

I've attached my recording of the ISS pass tonight at 22:39z with a max elevation of 57 degrees from FN01.

A few questions
1. Can anyone offer tips on how to work a "smoother" pass? As you'll notice if you listen to the recording I often can only hear the call or grid, but not both. As such I'm hesitant to key-up and attempt a contact. I do have the doppler shift programmed in to the memory. I start at 437.815 and go down to 437.785 by 0.005 MHZ and I try to follow the path of the pass using SatSat and the compass on my phone.

2. Is the choppiness due to being in a mountainous area? Or are people "stepping" on each other?

Arup
KE8OTP