Inexpensive Base Station: Will This Work?

Kent K5KNT

Hi all,

I'm a new member to the group and it has been a long time since I worked the sats. The last time was just over 11 years ago. At the time, I was using my mobile rig, an Icom IC-2720H with an 18-inch whip antenna. I began having issues with the radio powering off at intermittent times so I pulled it from my car and sent it to a repair shop. They sent it back and said they couldn't find anything wrong with the radio. I lost interest in the hobby and never bothered to reinstall the radio. Now, two moves and two different states later I've decided to give it a try again.

I will be moving to a different house sometime this summer/fall so I'd rather not bother with an outside antenna at this time. I'm wondering if I could use the 18-inch whip indoors (near a window) with the Icom and get any results.  What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Kent, K5KNT