What's the BEST HT? - General Inquiries

Clint Bradford

I am receiving a bunch of emails and messages and telephone calls - and a lot of
Facebook inquiries - wanting to know what the BEST HT is ...

Of course, there is no universally proper answer. MY "first" HTs were a pair of
Standard C-288a units. Yes - 220-only radios. BUT - they did exactly what I
needed from them at that time (American Red Cross work, and accessing
several other 220 repeaters in my region).

SO ... I smile when I see ANYONE try to answer, "What's the BEST?" - when
they haven't asked, "What is popular in YOUR region?" And if the questioner
doesn't know what is going on, they need to be referred to a local club's
Web site for LOCAL info. One of the best resources for club info is the "Club
Search" link at http://www.arrl.org - plug in your Zip Code and find quality
clubs nearby. MOST have links to Web sites - especially important now that
many clubs are not conducting "regular" meetings.

WITH ALL THAT SAID, if one determines they want a solid, proven 2M/440
FM HT, the Yaesu FT-60R is one whose feature set remains un-matched in
the amateur radio industry. Here's my "canned" reply ...

The Yaesu FT-60R is a GREAT value for anyone looking for a solid 2M/440 handheld. The FT-60R debuted at Dayton in 2004. It was a great bargain then - and remains so today. Among its features ...

-1,000 memories

-receives (essentially) 108mHz to a gig (even AM air)

-large, legible display

-easy to manually program (one-page cheat sheet at k6lcs dot com)

-bulletproof case design*

-strongest belt clip of any ham HT chassis on the market

-great receive audio

... as well as a unique battery setup: You can use the optional FBA-25 AA case with either NiMH cells or alkalines, and have full TX power available! NOTHING from Baofeng comes close to the ease of use and quality and construction.

- Clint Bradford K6LCS

*- OK, the FT-60R isn’t truly “bulletproof.” But several of my audiences have seen me toss one across the stage - literally - during my presentations to show that they stand up to a little abuse ... Do not try that at home, though. Send email or call (909) 999-SATS with any questions!

/end/