Re: IC-9700 and the SATS

Brad Smith

I use two antennas, both differently polarized, on the roof of my vehicle. The Comet CA-2x4SR NMO is vertically polarized and has properties that suit satellite work. This antenna is placed in the center of the roof. http://www.cometantenna.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/CA-2x4SR1.pdf

The COMPACTENNA is elliptically polarized and a very good satellite antenna. It must be placed on the corner of the vehicle. It is their 2 meter/440 model. https://compactenna.com/products/  On this site, there are explanations and videos that explain this antenna.

I use a AB switch to switch between the two antennas, depending on which one is performing the best at the moment. The COMPACTENNA is also very good at working directly overhead. Being omni-directional, there is no “doughnut hole”.

KC9UQR

In a message dated 12/19/2019 7:22:12 PM Central Standard Time, LaneKG@... writes:

Brad,

Can you provide some details about your antennas? I have some success with the vertically polarized mobile whip and the 710GA. What other antenna do you use on your vehicle?

Greg N4KGL

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019, 9:17 AM Brad Smith via Groups.Io <corlissbs=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Paul, I manually Doppler tune the TM-D710GA. I work portable with this radio, from my van, with two differently polarized antennas that I place on the van roof, and an A-B switch to switch between the two. I do love the radio.