Re: ISS SSTV Project - Computer Breach

Clint Bradford

The Nova Scotia amateur radio operator just wrote to me ...

>> ... I did not access the computer system. I triggered the repeat function that has always been enabled on the system ...

No - He exploited an opening in the software program MMSSTV. That program runs on a computer. Without obtaining permission from the computer owner, he sent commands to transmit his own Morse Code and image file using someone else's computer.

>> ... Definition of Hacking: Hacking generally refers to unauthorized intrusion into a computer or a network. The person engaged in hacking activities is known as a hacker. This hacker may alter system or security features to accomplish a goal that differs from the original purpose of the system.

That is precisely what he did: entered another's system, and altered that system to broadcast his images.