Re: ISS SSTV Project - Computer Breach

Bruce Perens K6BP

There is a place for security research. However, messing with a computer that is one of the most inaccessible devices ever made! In space! That fixing it might be impossible - that is irresponsible and sure it's a criminal act.

In AMSATs position, I might have put a unit on the ground and asked for people to penetrate it and tell me how.

I own the domain wewanthackers.com and have used it to host job applications. I am not out to hire computer criminals, just unconventional and especially expert programmers, and I don't have room for mundanes in my company.

As one of the original hackers, an alumnus of the hackers conference, and hackaday's conference, yes I do think the word hacker is pejorative used in the context you used, it means someone who is an unconventional programmer and nothing else. What you meant to say is computer criminal, and that's what the law says as well. So please mind your language

Thanks

Bruce

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019, 10:37 Clint Bradford via Groups.Io <clintbradford=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
During the current ISS SSTV project, a Nova Scotia ham intentionally hacked*
into the ISS' computer that was handling sending the images.

That is correct. He accessed a foreign government’s computer
system - with
the intent to disrupt an official ISS project by sending out his own image(s).

Several other amateur
radio operators have written that their reception of
“legitimate” images from the
ISS project were interrupted by this unauthorized
activity.

The offending ham has publicly pronounced himself a hero and that his actions
are an “experiment” worthy of merit and accolades from the amateur radio community.
He says he is well-within his rights to access the ISS' computer without obtaining
permission. Heck, a couple AMSAT-NA board candidates have applauded and
endorsed his activity.

Again - someone accessed another's computer without permission, interrupting
an ongoing project.

SO - What is next, if there are no repercussions to the offender?

How about keying up on ARISS project frequencies and interrupting an ARISS
project-in-progress? NASA and the other space agencies involved would shut
down the ARISS schedule until they are assured that a “cure” to that malicious
and intentional is “cured” to their satisfaction.

This offending ham’s hacking/breach should be universally condemned.

Clint Bradford K6LCS

* - Some have been irritated that I use the term "hacking," to describe this
illegal activity. According to California law, U.S. statutes, Canadian cybercrime
statutes, and international treaties, "hacking" is defined as "access to another's
computer without obtaining permission."