From: Clint Bradford via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, August 3, 2019 19:37
To: Work-Sat@groups.io
Subject: [Work-Sat] ISS SSTV Project - Computer Breach

During the current ISS SSTV project, a Nova Scotia ham intentionally hacked*
into the ISS' computer that was handling sending the images.

That is correct. He accessed a foreign government’s computer system - with
the intent to disrupt an official ISS project by sending out his own image(s).

Several other amateur radio operators have written that their reception of
“legitimate” images from the ISS project were interrupted by this unauthorized
activity.

The offending ham has publicly pronounced himself a hero and that his actions
are an “experiment” worthy of merit and accolades from the amateur radio community.
He says he is well-within his rights to access the ISS' computer without obtaining
permission. Heck, a couple AMSAT-NA board candidates have applauded and
endorsed his activity.

Again - someone accessed another's computer without permission, interrupting
an ongoing project.

SO - What is next, if there are no repercussions to the offender?

How about keying up on ARISS project frequencies and interrupting an ARISS
project-in-progress? NASA and the other space agencies involved would shut
down the ARISS schedule until they are assured that a “cure” to that malicious
and intentional is “cured” to their satisfaction.

This offending ham’s hacking/breach should be universally condemned.

Clint Bradford K6LCS

* - Some have been irritated that I use the term "hacking," to describe this
illegal activity. According to California law, U.S. statutes, Canadian cybercrime
statutes, and international treaties, "hacking" is defined as "access to another's
computer without obtaining permission."