From the In-Box ...

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

... I have been thinking about AO-51. I do have a dual-band HT for 2 meters and 440. BUT I am not real sure if I can do split frequency with it. I was told by a buddy that I could but I still haven't found any mention in the manual. My HT is a Yaesu FT-60 ...
Don't get me started on the virtues of the Yaesu FT-60R ... (grin)

YES - Check out page 28 of your FT-60's user manual. It's easier to "cheat" with the programming software - but if you're doing it manually, just remember that you have five seconds to perform some intermediate tasks/steps ...

... found your tutorial about AO-51 ... maybe I 'Can' do it ...
Absolutely! Improve that stock antenna ... pick an elevation of 25 or 30 degrees or better ... make sure the sat is in the "V/U mode" (it is all of March) - and we'll hear you on it!

... split operation into my FT-60 ...
It is preferable to work "true, full-duplex" on the FM birds. But it is NOT mandatory. I mean, you do not intentionally step on others when working you local repeaters. Same with the FM sats: Wait for a break in the action, and announce yourself.

I am spoiled here on the West Coast: There's ALWAYS contacts to be made on most of the FM birds' passes.

... Thank you for the excellent tutorial ...
NO - Thank YOU for joining and participating! I (ignorantly) walked on by when I saw an AMSAT table at a local hamfest five or six years ago. I mean, I thought I needed 100W transmit power, dual Yagis on the roof and that expensive Yaesu rotator to work the satellites. When I realized that we can work the FM birds with equipment most hams ALREADY OWN, well, I've given my sat presentation about 50 times the past three or four years showing hams how to work 'em with low power.

Clint, K6LCS
909-241-7666