From: Les
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 6:56 PM
Subject: [Work-Sat] Re: recieving SSTV from ARISSat-1

Jim, my advice to use line in was based on the understanding that you was coupling your radio to the computer via the audio output jack on the radio.  If you are using a mike, then by all means use the mike input.  You may not get enough gain using line in with a mike.  Using a mike is not the best way to do this, as you will pick up other noises that will show up in the picture.  But it will work.

I've received pictures both in the morning after daylight, and a few after dark.  The ones received in daylight are much better.  It is my understanding that the satellite goes to low power when in the earth's shadow, to conserve battery power.  So your best chance for a good picture would be during a daylight pass.

I can't think of any way to start MMSSTV at the start of the pass.

Les KC0PTO