Re: Voice recorder / headset question

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

I have a rather odd question ...
Not odd at all - this is a great question!

... voice recorder to record contacts ...
Great to keep a history of the contacts ... It's hard to hold an HT and a handheld Yagi and key the mic and write it all down with just two hands ... (grin)

... using a headset so that you can hear a bit better ...
Well, the FM birds are so easy to work (especially with your Arrow II!) that I really don't desire using my Heil headset while working them. But ...

... a way to do both? ... VX7R with a external handheld microphone ...
That's a perfect combination! A little shirt-pocket-sized recorder will do the trick. You pay more for them as the features get more extravagant, of course ...

- Just need taped conversations? Cheapest. Like a Sony M-470.

-Digital recording? A little more expensive. Olympus units are great. VN-6000 looks cool.

-Digital, with audio files that are easily transferred to your computer? Closer to $100, like an Olympus Olympus WS-500M. My Marantz PMD660 for interviews + Sennheiser mic was a little over $500.

-Wireless setup (I use one for my presentations and demos)? Can be second mortgage time. Audio Technica makes some great setups.

... I was thinking of adding something like the MFJ-288R, but was curious how I might be able to record contacts?

The MFJ-288R doesn't have an audio jack inline anywhere (as I remember - correct me if I am wrong). The Pryme SPM-4xx Series used to have an 3.5mm 2-conductor audio jack - so you would plug the tape recorder's input into it, and then use the tape recorder's earphone jack for hearing ...

Go inexpensive at first. You already have the speaker-mic and great gain with the Arrow antenna. Just borrow someone's cassette recorder (or find yours out in the garage) for testing. Look at how I have mounted my HT onto the book of my Arrow (go to PHOTOS at http://www.k6lcs.com ) - and you eliminate the need for so many hands.

And after transmitting, you can clip the mic to the setup. Hey - mount a little clipboard and pad, and you have your own portable Arrow Satellite Office!

Clint
909-2421-7666