FT-817 / VX-8

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

From the In Box ...

Clint,

Hope this is not a bother but I want to work satellites and just not sure which radio to buy. I know I need crossband and I could use either a mobile or portable. I note in your website an FT-817 and that would be great for the HF that goes with it, but I've heard it is a poor choice for satellite work. I also saw the attached video and I think the fellow is using a VX-8R Yaesu. So, what do your recommend? I do quite a bit /p with my HF, and it would be great to have multi-capabilities. Also do all these radios account for doppler through memory usage. I've tried the HRD program and it tracks, but I may not always have a notebook with me. Appreciate it if you have the time to answer some questions from a newbie to satellites.

My reply ...

... FT-817 ... HF, too ... but I've heard it is a poor choice for satellite work ...
The FT-817 is a great rig for QRP HF work, FM satellite work, and SSB satellite work. It's all in the antenna ...

... VX-8R ...
The VX-8R is nice ... but NOT a true duplex radio, either. (True duplex means you can hear the sub-band while transmitting on the other band - NOT mandatory, but many prefer working that way. Personally, I haven't felt the need to hear myself ... (grin).)

... what do your recommend? I do quite a bit /p with my HF, and it would be great to have multi-capabilities ...
Then you might like the FT-817: 2M and 440, plus HF! But if you don't have a 2M/440 handheld in your collection, the less-expensive FT-60R is a great performer.

... do all these radios account for doppler through memory usage ...
None automatically. But I get around that by simply programming multiple channels for each satellite. Only the 440 side needs doppler correction on the FM birds ("acquire = ABOVE" is my mnemonic device ... ACQUIRE the signal as sat is rising ABOVE the center frequency).

Clint, K6LCS
909-241-7666