2009 ...

K6LCS <clintbrad4d@...>

After a flurry of satellite presentations September through November, it's been an uneventful, quiet holiday season. Which, at my age, is just fine ... (grin)

Over in the AMSAT messagelist, a participant posted this earlier this week ...

My first contact on satellite was 29-Dec-08 via AO-51 and the QSO was
appropriately with Clint Bradford, K6LCS. It is appropriate that it was
with Clint because Clint is the one that sparked my interest in working
satellites. I remember reading about amateur radio satellites in my
Technician exam preparation book where it was discussing the various forms
of amateur radio. I also distinctly remember the impression that the author
said working satellites was challenging and not easy to do. Along comes
Clint to do a demo at one of [our club's monthly meetings] with his
Arrow II and an HT and showed just how easy it can be.

At that point I was intrigued enough to put an Arrow II on my Christmas wish
list and a few days after Christmas, I got myself on AO-51. I remember that
first pass seemed very busy but Clint and I had pre-arranged to work it and
having that successful contact fanned the fire ...

Cool. Or, as my sons would write, "Kewl." I intend to keep "infecting" folks with this "satellite affliction" in 2010. Already have a couple of dates for presentations lined up.

I picked up a "net control" position for the South CARS VOIP Pacific Coast Connection net on Tuesdays at 7PM Pacific / 10PM Eastern on EchoLink Node 96140. If you have EchoLink capability, please drop in and say hello. It's a newer net for the SCARS folks - and we need son participation from - the Pacific side of the continent.

VOIP has been interesting. For the first times ever, I gave my sat presentation over VOIP to audiences I couldn't actually see (Skype and/or EchoLink). I prepare a .pdf file of slides for the club to project on their club's screen, and work the presentation. It has proven to be effective ... and I still have a great time with the Q&A sessions afterwards.

SO ... THANK YOU ALL for a great 2009. Hope your 2010 is peaceful.

Clint, K6LCS
909-241-7666