Wages

Chris1943

In 1959 i got 39/6 as an office junior. In Feb 1961 my first pay as a student nurse was £8 5s and 6d after stoppages!

Graham Phillips

I looked at a website showing current values of any amount from previous years, which suggested that £6 in 1955 would be the equivalent of £143 today, which isn't, as you say, extortionate.

However, in the early 1970's I spent time working in a textile mill, working with people who thought £20/ week (before taxes) was good. Textile mill wages were always at the lower end of the scale.

Regards,
Graham

On 17/05/2021, 17:19, "West-Riding-Yorkshire-gen@groups.io on behalf of Caroline Marrow via groups.io" <West-Riding-Yorkshire-gen@groups.io on behalf of caroline.marrow=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

There is slight inflation here! Before decimal currency I was at work as an office junior in 1962 getting £4.00 a week , 12/- a day would have been £3.00, so under the circumstances not extortionate..
12/- is equivalent to 60p and £1.00 (20 shillings) was 100p.
An interesting topic this one,

Many thanks
Caroline

Chris Cottrell

A slight correction, £1 =240d

On Mon, 17 May 2021 at 17:19, Caroline Marrow via groups.io <caroline.marrow=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

There is slight inflation here! Before decimal currency I was at work as an office junior in 1962 getting £4.00 a week , 12/- a day would have been £3.00, so under the circumstances not extortionate..
12/- is equivalent to 60p and £1.00 (20 shillings) was 100p.
An interesting topic this one,

Many thanks
Caroline
______________________________

1c. Re: Maternity hospital charges
   From: Graham Phillips <graham@...>
   Date: Sat, 15 May 2021 09:24:37 PDT

Hi Lesley,

Thanks for the information. We were somewhat bemused by it, as we'd presumed that it would have all been free. Obviously not.
At the time, my parents weren't particularly well off, so £6 would have been quite a lot for them at the time.

That wasn't something we thought of!

Thanks again,
Graham

Lesley Baxendale (FH)

That's right Graham, £20 a week was a pretty good basic wage for a mill worker unless you were highly skilled. When I started work as a Civil Servant, just after decimalisation in 1971, I got £19.99 per week as a Clerical Assistant, the lowest of the low.

Lesley

On 17/05/2021 18:41, Graham Phillips wrote:
I looked at a website showing current values of any amount from previous years, which suggested that £6 in 1955 would be the equivalent of £143 today, which isn't, as you say, extortionate.
However, in the early 1970's I spent time working in a textile mill, working with people who thought £20/ week (before taxes) was good. Textile mill wages were always at the lower end of the scale.
Regards,
Graham

Lin Duke

Discussion of  'Maternity hospital charges' has gone a bit off topic, so I'm starting a new topic 'Wages' for your reminisces.  *ADMIN*

Graham Phillips

The £20/ week was for the bloke who was the section head. That was before tax. I was lucky - I was a student, so didn’t have to pay tax or NI.
I was working in what was the finishing mill, where cloth was cleaned and pressed, ready for sale & was fairly skilled - if it wasn’t good enough, it had to be redone. I worked on what was known as a blower, which had big, heavy rollers & the cloth wound round them & steam passed through it. Horrible work when you were working on heavy dyed material, such as police uniforms - the dye had a horrible smell & small fibres came off the material - it got everywhere - nose, eyes, hair. Ugh!!
As with most Yorkshire mills, now closed.
In my first year at University in 1972, my student grant was £285 a year. Riches!!

Cheer,
Graham