Maternity hospital charges

Graham Phillips

My brother and I have been sorting out some of our late mother’s effects and found an invoice for 10 days at 12/- a day (i.e. £6 in total) for ‘Services’ when she was in Huddersfield Maternity Hospital (NHS) in the 1950s

I wonder if anyone has any experience of such charges & can give us some idea as to what they were for – the invoice gives little information, unfortunately?

Thanks in advance,

Graham

Lesley Baxendale (FH)

Hi Graham,

This was standard practice if you wanted a private room. In our local hospital where my girls were born (formerly the workhouse), there were four private rooms off the maternity ward. You had to pay if you wanted one, unless you were considered very poorly & got moved in there for some peace & quiet. At that time, you were expected to be in hospital for around 5 days after the birth.

Lesley
Colwyn Bay

On 14/05/2021 18:01, Graham Phillips wrote:
My brother and I have been sorting out some of our late mother’s effects and found an invoice for 10 days at 12/- a day (i.e. £6 in total) for ‘Services’ when she was in Huddersfield Maternity Hospital (NHS) in the 1950s
I wonder if anyone has any experience of such charges & can give us some idea as to what they were for – the invoice gives little information, unfortunately?
Thanks in advance,
Graham

jennyda2@...

I searched on Google and found what must be the maternity hospital you mention, The Princess Royal Maternity Home Huddersfield which was  a Midwifery training hospital in at least the 1840/50 until, I do not know when, according to the sites I found about this maternity home.  The Nat. Archives seem to have information on the this place.  Search for the same name as I did, The Princess Royal Maternity Home Huddersfield, and you should find lots of resuits about the home.

  It may well have been a private maternity home hence the charges, it does sound as though this may have been the case.  Otherwise I have no idea why your mother would have been charged by the day for her stay in the maternity home.

I found one page that shows a St. Katherine's mother and baby hostal Kingsmill Lane  Huddersfield,  where it says it gave "Before and After Care" and also says  "payment according to circumstances".  There are one or two other such homes in Huddersfield. shown in the list on the same page.   The link for the page is below and is part of Peter Higginbotham's web site on workhouses, childen's homes and other institutions.  Does the document you have not give the name of the maternity home?  Could this be the place where you mother gave birth and paid the 12/- per day? 6GBP back then would have been a fair amount for a working man to find for the care of his wife and baby.

http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/list/MB11.shtml

I made another search and found this page below which talks about  the change over from private maternity homes and care to NHS hospital maternity care, this might be expalin and answer why your mother paid for her maternity care inthe 1950s.

https://www.historyandpolicy.org/policy-papers/papers/choice-policy-and-practice-in-maternity-care-since-1948

Regards
Jenny DeAngelis

Graham Phillips

Hi Lesley,

Thanks for the information. We were somewhat bemused by it, as we'd presumed that it would have all been free. Obviously not.
At the time, my parents weren't particularly well off, so £6 would have been quite a lot for them at the time.

That wasn't something we thought of!

Thanks again,
Graham

PS Amusingly, my parents went to Colwyn Bay for their honeymoon in 1951 - we found the receipt from the Excelsior Hotel!

On 15/05/2021, 15:24, "West-Riding-Yorkshire-gen@groups.io on behalf of Lesley Baxendale (FH) via groups.io" <West-Riding-Yorkshire-gen@groups.io on behalf of tree.dovercourt17=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Graham,

This was standard practice if you wanted a private room. In our local
hospital where my girls were born (formerly the workhouse), there were
four private rooms off the maternity ward. You had to pay if you wanted
one, unless you were considered very poorly & got moved in there for
some peace & quiet. At that time, you were expected to be in hospital
for around 5 days after the birth.

Lesley
Colwyn Bay

On 14/05/2021 18:01, Graham Phillips wrote:
> My brother and I have been sorting out some of our late mother’s effects
> and found an invoice for 10 days at 12/- a day (i.e. £6 in total) for
> ‘Services’ when she was in Huddersfield Maternity Hospital (NHS) in the
> 1950s
>
> I wonder if anyone has any experience of such charges & can give us some
> idea as to what they were for – the invoice gives little information,
> unfortunately?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Graham

Graham Phillips

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for all the information & links.

Both my brother and I were born in the Princess Royal MH, which was THE place to be born in Huddersfield in the 1950’s.

To the best of my knowledge, it was an NHS Maternity Home but I couldn’t be 100% sure. Both my parents worked in the textile industry, which didn’t pay good wages, so £6 would definitely have been a lot to them in the mid 1950’s. As I wasn’t that old, my mother wouldn’t have been working (how the world has changed!), so they would have only had my father’s pay to live on (at the time, he was only 27 and not that well paid). He did rise through the hierarchy and was retired when as Mill Manager.

Regards & thanks again,

Graham

From: <West-Riding-Yorkshire-gen@groups.io> on behalf of "jennyda2 via groups.io" <jennyda2@...>
Reply to: "West-Riding-Yorkshire-gen@groups.io" <West-Riding-Yorkshire-gen@groups.io>
Date: Saturday, 15 May 2021 at 17:24
To: "West-Riding-Yorkshire-gen@groups.io" <West-Riding-Yorkshire-gen@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Westriding-gen] Maternity hospital charges

[...]

Chris1943

Lesley is right. I started nurse training in 1960 and this was the case in both hospitals and maternity homes. The usual length of stay was 10 days in the 50s and early 60s. There were also in existence a number of 'sick clubs' which would contribute to the cost if you were a member. These were often run by trades unions if memory serves.

Andy Micklethwaite

Hi Jenny and Graham

My MeToo moment - yes, I was born there, but remember nothing of the occasion :-)

Interesting thread to follow!

Best Wishes, Andy.

At 20:13 15/05/2021, you wrote:

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for all the information & links.

Both my brother and I were born in the Princess Royal MH, which was THE place to be born in Huddersfield in the 1950’s.

To the best of my knowledge, it was an NHS Maternity Home but I couldn’t be 100% sure. Both my parents worked in the textile industry, which didn’t pay good wages, so £6 would definitely have been a lot to them in the mid 1950’s. As I wasn’t that old, my mother wouldn’t have been working (how the world has changed!), so they would have only had my father’s pay to live on (at the time, he was only 27 and not that well paid). He did rise through the hierarchy and was retired when as Mill Manager.

Regards & thanks again,

Graham

Caroline Marrow

Edited

There is slight inflation here! Before decimal currency I was at work as an office junior in 1962 getting £4.00 a week , 12/- a day would have been £3.00, so under the circumstances not extortionate..
12/- is equivalent to 60p and £1.00 (20 shillings) was 100p.
An interesting topic this one,

Many thanks
Caroline

1c. Re: Maternity hospital charges