This group is for genealogy, family history and local history research in the historic West Riding of Yorkshire, England
Discussion of migration patterns, immigration, social history, heraldry, historical sketches, census data, wills, family bibles, vital records, etc. involving this area is encouraged.
- Please feel free to ask questions to help with your research. Give as much information as possible ie surnames, area, dates and what you already have.
- Please enter all surnames in CAPITALS before posting. This makes your post more eye catching both in the group and the archives. It will also avoid confusion if the surname is the same as a forename (eg James/JAMES) or the same as a place (eg Wakefield/WAKEFIELD). Do not put first names or places in capitals.
- Please stay on topic. Any posts which deviate from the topic being discussed will be deleted.
- Please do not change the subject title of the post you are replying to as changing even one letter will result in a new topic being created.
- Please do not 'hijack' someone else's topic - start a new one if you wish to discuss something else.
- Snip when replying. Quote only the relevant portion of the message to which you're responding, but leave enough so we know what you're writing about.
- Please do not ask for, or offer, 'look-ups' from subscription sites (e.g Ancestry and Findmypast) or publications etc .
- Questions on family tree software will be allowed at the discretion of the list owner.
- Please do not post virus warnings, 'test' messages, chain letters, political announcements, current events, items for sale, personal messages, computer problems etc..
Please do not post anything about anyone who is living, or likely to be living ie their birth date is within the last 100 years. Any such posts will be removed.
Please be aware that your reply goes to the group, so do not post any private or sensitive information.
Please treat others as you would wish to be treated. Abusive or derogatory comments will not be tolerated.
If you have any questions please contact the group owner.