Topics

Logging during activations

Detrick Merz

How do you log during your activations? Obvious answers seem to be paper, tablet, or laptop. But is there something specific you use that you've found to make it all go more smoothly? I'm looking for low power options and ideas to improve my activations.

I use a combination of pencil/paper plus tablet with an application called HamLog. My usual method is to jot down notes as the contact comes in, then transcribe into the tablet as soon as I have a free moment. The tablet does a good job of making time stamping easy, and preventing transcription errors (sometimes it's hard to read my chicken scratch, but it's easier when the QSO is still fresh in my mind). It's functional, but leaves me wanting a few things: handwriting is messy & the pages blow around, the logging interface has too many fields, and the log export requires manual editing to add in required fields (e.g. my_sig_info). HamLog also populates data from prior contact, which gets messy for P2P.

So how do you do it? Do you have a better way, tips, tricks?

73, 44,

-detrick
K4IZ

KFF Coordinator

Hi Detrick,

You should post this on the WWFF-KFF Facebook page and you will get a bunch of responses as many seem to do it their own way. Many people prefer the free FLE software which has a template for WWFF. I could never get the hang of that so I use Amateur Contact Log by N3FJP. I also modify the screen layout and add the fields for WWFF and P2P calls. Their is a tutorial for that in the Files section of the WWFF-KFF Facebook page.

FLE is popular because it is free (ACL is $25 for all lifetime updates) and because it puts out a basic ADIF that fulfills the WWFF log expectations. I think you still have to add the files for P2P but I am not sure. If you are interested in FLE I recommend you contact KA9JAC. His email is on the WWFF-KFF.org page as one of the upload people.

These are just a few that are used out there.

73/44
Kraig

Norm Meyers N9MM

I agree with Kraig that a great place for this question is the WWFF-KFF FB Page. Perhaps you could search history too.

From my memory, FLE is the most popular. It’s simple and cheap. I use a different solution however, which is why I’m responding. I use N1MM+ on a laptop. It too is free, and one of the most widely used software for contests and DXPeditions. It has lots of features, but there are two I find very, very helpful when Activating. First it has Partial Call Lookup. That’s uses a file that contains over 50,000 callsigns of active contest participants. So if you you copy KA2K, it will give you a list of active stations including KA2LHO. This is very helpful when working weak stations in QSB.

N1MM+ also has Call History files, which are user generated. I have one that has over 4000 unique callsigns of stations that I have worked. This list adds to the Partial Call Lookup, and enriched it with stations that are active but do not participate in contests. This file also includes names of many of these stations, so a can call people who work me by their name. I’m old and this is a great memory crutch, plus it allows me to be more friendly by calling stations by their operator’s names.

I can help you with N1MM+ and provide you with my Call History File if you decide to go that way. It’s more complex, but these features make it worth. Oh, it handles P2P too.

Norm, N9MM

[...]

I find it sad that most of the activity is on Facebook. For me, I won't use it. But it is what it is, and the world doesn't have to cater to me.

N1MM+, FLE, and ACL look good. I've used N1MM+ before, although I'm typically a mac user ... still, RUMlogNG could fill the same gap. I've never found it manageable to take a laptop with me though. Not that I haven't tried, but it's tough to keep them going for more than a few hours, and less if using them to run digital modes. Plus the screen can be very difficult to see in bright light. Somehow, I've never had an issue with a tablet in bright light, and can also usually get them to operate all day before they die. They're also cheap, small, and light enough that I'll bring a second tablet as a backup. This past Sunday that was quite useful as I tried out a new bluetooth keyboard and the first tablet didn't last as long as usual before its battery went flat. But the software options I've found on tablets so far leave me wanting something better.

73, 44,

-detrick
K4IZ

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 8:42 AM, Norm Meyers N9MM <norm42@...> wrote:
I agree with Kraig that a great place for this question is the WWFF-KFF FB Page. Perhaps you could search history too.

From my memory, FLE is the most popular. It’s simple and cheap. I use a different solution however, which is why I’m responding. I use N1MM+ on a laptop. It too is free, and one of the most widely used software for contests and DXPeditions. It has lots of features, but there are two I find very, very helpful when Activating. First it has Partial Call Lookup. That’s uses a file that contains over 50,000 callsigns of active contest participants. So if you you copy KA2K, it will give you a list of active stations including KA2LHO. This is very helpful when working weak stations in QSB.

[...]

joe kallo N0MAP

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 06:11 am, Detrick Merz wrote:
I find it sad that most of the activity is on Facebook. For me, I won't use it. But it is what it is, and the world doesn't have to cater to me.
Agreed on this. It's unfortunate that so many groups have opted to go that route. There are some good arguments as to why this is a bad idea, but this isn't the place to discuss them I suppose.

I use a notebook with waterproof paper and a pencil in the field (pens don't work well at elevation nor in the very cold). Like you, my chicken scratch becomes more illegible as time passes from when I wrote it, so I transcribe as soon as I can. For creating electronic logs, I love FLE. It's very lightweight and fast. I'm also mostly a mac user, and I can report it runs VERY well using WINE. If you need any help getting it and/or WINE going on your machine, happy to help.

73,
Joe // N0MAP

Matthew Stevens <matthew@...>

I typically just log on paper, and then enter everything into dxkeeper (or tqsl) after the fact.

+1 on facebook. I have an account solely to interact with groups like the wwff one. I'm not a FB fan at all, but I guess that is what it is!

73,

- Matthew nj4y
On 4/25/2018 9:23 AM, joe kallo N0MAP wrote:

[...]

No worries on FB. It is what it is.  I get all posts to this group sent to me as many others do so in a way it serves a similar purpose.

As you can see there are a variety of options that people use. I also have been using pen and paper prior to my recent transition to mobile (I do only mobile) logging via ACL.

ACL is a PC program so I don't know how it runs in the various pc operations available for Mac.

I did forget to mention that there is a WWFF template for HamLog that you might want to try before going elsewhere.

Here the link to the article and the template for download:
https://www.n3vem.com/blog/wwff-logging-more-with-hamlog

My fingers just don't fit on my iphone screen trying to log but it might work well for you.

The thing I love about this hobby and this WWFF-KFF group is that there are so many creative ways to solving problems and there is a good chance that somebody has been there, done that.

73
Kraig

Wayne Robertson

Would somebody be so kind as to spot me on 14.2 44? Kff 1884

[...]

Jeff Logullo N0̸MII

Have you ever tried using a Bluetooth keyboard with your iPhone/iPad when using HamLog? It might make entry easier/faster. One more thing to carry with you, but they’re light weight, self-contained power…

I’m about to give WWFF a go and have been thinking about logging too. HamLog with a bluetooth keyboard was going to be my first attempt. Now that I see there’s a WWFF template, that’s all the better!
--
Jeff N0̸MII

Kraig D. Pritts

I have not. I have read of others who use Hamlog.

I use a Microsoft Surface GO and Amateur Contact Log by N3FJP.

If you decide to try ACL, I have a document in the Files section of the KFF Facebook page showing step by step how to configure it for WWFF including your park info and any Park to Park. For Ipad I think Hamlog is the only thing out there.

I have used a Bluetooth keyboard with an ipad in the past for other things. As long as the ipad and keyboard have a good charge to start you should be fine.

KA2LHO

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 9:52 AM Jeff Logullo N0̸MII <jeff@...> wrote:
Have you ever tried using a Bluetooth keyboard with your iPhone/iPad when using HamLog? It might make entry easier/faster. One more thing to carry with you, but they’re light weight, self-contained power…

I’m about to give WWFF a go and have been thinking about logging too. HamLog with a bluetooth keyboard was going to be my first attempt. Now that I see there’s a WWFF template, that’s all the better!
--
Jeff N0̸MII

--
=================================
Please consider the environment before
printing this email...
=================================
Amateur Radio Operator: KA2LHO
Website: http://KA2LHO.net
Mobile Tracking: https://aprs.fi/KA2LHO-i
————————————————————
100 Watts and a Wire ID: 3455
————————————————————
WWFF-KFF Outreach Coordinator
http://wwff-kff.org
=================================
6637 NE 5th Lane
Ocala, FL 34470
Tel: 315-877-4822
Fax: 315-883-1321
Email: kraig@...

NOTICE: This transmission is intended only for use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain confidential information belonging to the sender, which is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error you should contact us immediately by telephone to arrange its return.

Wayne Robertson

Jeff, are you saying there's a WWFF template for HamLog?  HamLog's what I use on my android tablet and like it real well.

Wayne Robertson

On 5/3/2019 9:41 AM, Jeff Logullo N0̸MII wrote:
Have you ever tried using a Bluetooth keyboard with your iPhone/iPad when using HamLog? It might make entry easier/faster. One more thing to carry with you, but they’re light weight, self-contained power…

I’m about to give WWFF a go and have been thinking about logging too. HamLog with a bluetooth keyboard was going to be my first attempt. Now that I see there’s a WWFF template, that’s all the better!
--
Jeff N0̸MII

n2cx2001

Well I don't have an iPhone or iPad, but used to use a small Windoze 'outer for portable logging.

However these days I keep things very simple and do paper logging in the field. My setup uses only a KX3 and battery so it fits on my lap or on a small table. I have found that at least for me using a touch screen or keyboard in the field is awkward. But then I am an OF!

I transcribe logs to ACL in the comfort of my home or a hotel room.

73,
Joe E.,  N2CX

Have you ever tried using a Bluetooth keyboard with your iPhone/iPad when using HamLog? It might make entry easier/faster. One more thing to carry with you, but they’re light weight, self-contained power…

I’m about to give WWFF a go and have been thinking about logging too. HamLog with a bluetooth keyboard was going to be my first attempt. Now that I see there’s a WWFF template, that’s all the better!
--
Jeff N0̸MII

Detrick Merz

There's not a WWFF template on HamLog for Android ... I wish there was! As far as I have been able to read up on the subject, the iOS version *will* let you make custom logging templates. I can't justify getting an iOS device *just* for HamLog though. I found details on templates for the iOS version here: https://www.n3vem.com/blog/wwff-logging-more-with-hamlog

Has anyone tried to reach out to N3WG to see about getting custom templates for Android?

-detrick
K4IZ

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 10:05 AM Wayne Robertson <k4wk@...> wrote:

Jeff, are you saying there's a WWFF template for HamLog?  HamLog's what I use on my android tablet and like it real well.

Wayne Robertson
On 5/3/2019 9:41 AM, Jeff Logullo N0̸MII wrote:
Have you ever tried using a Bluetooth keyboard with your iPhone/iPad when using HamLog? It might make entry easier/faster. One more thing to carry with you, but they’re light weight, self-contained power…

I’m about to give WWFF a go and have been thinking about logging too. HamLog with a bluetooth keyboard was going to be my first attempt. Now that I see there’s a WWFF template, that’s all the better!
--
Jeff N0̸MII

Jeff Logullo N0̸MII

I'm reading this post right now:

about the "Create a Log" feature of HamLog, which I'd never noticed before. (I've got the iOS version.) Wow -- it looks like the bee's knees for WWFF!

I can't tell if the current version on Android has the "Create a Log" feature, so please check and let us know if you see it on your Android version of HamLog.

On May 3, 2019, at 9:05 AM, Wayne Robertson <k4wk@...> wrote:

Jeff, are you saying there's a WWFF template for HamLog?  HamLog's what I use on my android tablet and like it real well.

Wayne Robertson
On 5/3/2019 9:41 AM, Jeff Logullo N0̸MII wrote:

I’m about to give WWFF a go and have been thinking about logging too. HamLog with a bluetooth keyboard was going to be my first attempt. Now that I see there’s a WWFF template, that’s all the better!

Jeff N0̸MII

Jeff Logullo N0̸MII

TIL that the template's name is case-sensitive (!). I downloaded the template file "cal_wwff.csv" and uploaded it to my iPhone... didn't show up in HamLog. But after some reading of the help file, and some head-scratching, I "renamed" the file to "CAL_wwff.csv" and (I kid you not) it showed up on my phone.

So the "CAL" part of the name must be in all caps... however, the template from N3VEM's web page gets downloaded with a lower-case name. Just make "CAL" be in caps and you're all set.

Computers: never a dull moment!

On May 3, 2019, at 9:56 AM, Detrick Merz <detrick@...> wrote:

There's not a WWFF template on HamLog for Android ... I wish there was! As far as I have been able to read up on the subject, the iOS version *will* let you make custom logging templates. I can't justify getting an iOS device *just* for HamLog though. I found details on templates for the iOS version here: https://www.n3vem.com/blog/wwff-logging-more-with-hamlog

Has anyone tried to reach out to N3WG to see about getting custom templates for Android?

-detrick
K4IZ

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 10:05 AM Wayne Robertson <k4wk@...> wrote:

Jeff, are you saying there's a WWFF template for HamLog?  HamLog's what I use on my android tablet and like it real well.

Wayne Robertson

Jeff N0̸MII

Detrick Merz

Still nothing like Create-a-Log in my Android version. The Change Log and Play Store shows the last update was April 22, 2017.

-detrick
K4IZ

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 11:15 AM Jeff Logullo N0̸MII <jeff@...> wrote:
[...]

I use N1MM on my laptop. Good luck with your activation, and I hope to hear you on the air. Be sure to post on the internet with DX Summit, or another cluster.

Norm N9MM