Re: FT-8

Detrick Merz

The upside to "CQ FF K4IZ FM18" is that it's a standard CQ message, not a free message. It doesn't mess with the automation. My only concern is whether "FF" is too ambiguous ... but if we were to all standardize on it it would gain recognition.

The one time I've used FT8 in a park so far I did notice some ops working me split, and it did work out quite well.

The suggestions to throw some free text out between CQs (maybe when things are slow) is a great one; even if someone can't respond, they may see it and keep watching for a minute. And starting with TX2 instead of TX1 is a great idea, one which I think more experienced ops may pick up on naturally.

Thanks for the feedback on this, I think it's greatly helpful -- at least for me.

73, 44,

-detrick
K4IZ

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 12:18 AM, Jim Shorney <jshorney@...> wrote:

I've run into this before with an op trying to activate. You don't want to do anything that messes up the automation. While experienced ops can cope with it the newbies and the less savvy ops will be at a loss. Perhaps a good practice would be to occasionally throw out something like "KFF-xxxx yourcall" as a free text transmission between CQs. That should attract some attention. To speed thing up a little bit ops can set to send RR73 instead of RRR. Callers should be encouraged to call split since you want a pile-up, and also to start with TX2 instead of TX1.

73/44

-Jim
NU0C